Irankicks Football Talk

Go Back   Irankicks Football Talk > Irankicks.com Rules Read before posting > In-Depth football discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
IK COP
Administrator

Does Ali Daei belong to team Melli or Team Melli belongs to Ali Daei?

Got your attention.

I think this is a great topic for this forum. I know this is a very controversial topic, however, this is a topic that is on every Iranian football fan's mind.

In recent history of IFF we have never had a player who is as influential as Ali Daei. We have never had a player who has been consistently invited to team Melli. Regardless of his performance in the team Ali Daei has managed to stay in team melli longer than any one else.

It is no surprise that Ali Daei's performance is no longer what it was during the late 90s. His descent from world class Bundesliga club to a low level Arab league and now at IPL is a testament to his natural decline in sport of Football.
Granted he is still the highest Iranian goal scorer on most rankings. However; his ability to score so many goals can be attributed to his position in the team and game plan.

In my opinion playing for team melli is not an entitlement, it is earned by hard work and consistent results.

So the question is: Does Ali Daei still belongs to Team Melli or as most people feel Team Melli Belongs to Ali Daei.

Last edited by IK COP : 02-02-2006 at 10:19 PM.
IK COP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Kaz
IK Defender

Rep Power: 16Kaz will become famous soon enoughKaz will become famous soon enough
Re: Does Ali Daei belongs to team Melli or Team Melli belongs to Ali Daei?

Let me start off and say that Ali Daei has been Iran's hero for the past decade. Whenever we needed a goal or a player to stand tall, Mr. Daei has been the leader in this aspect. Amassing an unsurpassed goal (world record) tally by consistantly scoring with a high ratio in terms goals per match, he has taken his place in history alongside Pele and Puskas whether or not they acknowledge Daei as a brother in talent. Our first player in a high-quality club and at most times our only song to sing.

That era is gone, and you may recognise keywords in the first paragragh: has been.

Although Daei still commands a lot of affection from fans and colleagues, his real dip in form and his reluctance to put the game away has made him an enemy to the people. At about 37-years of age, he is in the most top-form he could be, which really isn't saying much when you watch him on the pitch. Very inactive physically, one can argue he is as emotionally involved as ever, but that is not the case at hand. Having only scored two goals in the last year which weren't penalties this definately indicates his real drop of importance in the team.

Many argue that he is the Captain and has experience, but the negatives to his presence tips the scales, for myself, personally. Shouting at the younger generation of players and his inability to chase balls and open up chances for teammates is a detriment to our team. His presence also means that players emerging to replace him are forced to play out of position to accompany the team without disturbing Daei. This sovereignty bestowed to Daei has resulted in ill-feeling towards him by many individuals, on field and off.

He now plays football for Saba and compared to many forwards in other clubs he is playing below standard even for the IPL, yet he is still picked for the squad. When watching Daei, you seem to wonder: Why is he on the field for 90 minutes almost every single game?

This is where the conspiracies come in and the question of Branko's capability to control his squad and not be influenced. Influenced by who? Daei and the IFF. Daei has a large stake in our football, especially in regards to his apparel and equipment company which is webbed to many of Iran's clubs.

A while ago, he was our biggest hero and now he is one of our villains...one wonders if it is intentional...or is his gheyrat/pride for his nation blinding him to the truth?

Last edited by Kaz : 02-02-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
dashali
Hall of famer

Icon3 Re: Does Ali Daei belongs to team Melli or Team Melli belongs to Ali Daei?

Ali Daei should just retire NOW and let People have good memories of him.
He has not scored in IPL
he is far from the top scorer in IPL....and as we know, everyone hammer down the ipl....
I wonder how Branko name Daei again for TM....how? why?
yet we loos youth players like MOBALI....woooow...what a shame..

Iranetehhhhhhh
dashali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
PersianPlaya408
Hall of famer

Rep Power: 22PersianPlaya408 will become famous soon enoughPersianPlaya408 will become famous soon enough

Although Ali Daei is no longer Irans greatest striker or player, he is still a leader on the field. I think his presence in the team can actually be benefical to an Iranian team in the world cup that will have most likely not had the best preparation due to current situation of no team accepting iran's friendly requests. But that aside, Ali Daei is a playmaker, wise football player who has a touch for the game still, he is not playing too bad for Saba Battery, but i can see where some have a point because Enayati, Kazemian, Akbarpour, Rajabzadeh and Fazli have all scored more frequently than Daei.

But hey Ali Daei is THE MOST IMPORTANT FIGURE in Iranian sports in the 90s... he has a world record that nobody is going to reach for at least another half century. Ali Daei is the pride of our country, and the best goodbye for him would be in the most prestigous football tournament that exists: The World Cup...

Case Closed

P.S. Kaiser hal kon
Old 02-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Kaz
IK Defender

Rep Power: 16Kaz will become famous soon enoughKaz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianPlaya408
Although Ali Daei is no longer Irans greatest striker or player, he is still a leader on the field. I think his presence in the team can actually be benefical to an Iranian team in the world cup that will have most likely not had the best preparation due to current situation of no team accepting iran's friendly requests. But that aside, Ali Daei is a playmaker, wise football player who has a touch for the game still, he is not playing too bad for Saba Battery, but i can see where some have a point because Enayati, Kazemian, Akbarpour, Rajabzadeh and Fazli have all scored more frequently than Daei.

But hey Ali Daei is THE MOST IMPORTANT FIGURE in Iranian sports in the 90s... he has a world record that nobody is going to reach for at least another half century. Ali Daei is the pride of our country, and the best goodbye for him would be in the most prestigous football tournament that exists: The World Cup...

Case Closed

P.S. Kaiser hal kon
He is also 37 years old and doesn't move on the field. Leader on the field...hmm...I'm sure the players would respect someone like Mahdavikia on the field more, who has probably more football experience abroad and in tougher situations as Daei. If you want Daei for the intangible reasons, invite him to sit on the bench and cheer. Having him on the field is forcing the rest of the team to play an unnatural role and have to play around him. Why not give someone who deserves a spot more than him and also help out the players that have to dance to his tune.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
aliirooni
Hall of famer

I believe Daie should leave team melli for two reasons:

In today’s modern football, fitness and speed play important roles. A world class player, in particular a striker, must be fit and fast enough to be able to take advantage of passes and score against thought and world class defenders and goal keepers.

Speed & fast reflexes are more important that experience for a forward. If you take a look at world class teams, they have tendency to hire faster forwards. Experienced players are more useful in the back.

Ali Daie will be 37 years old by world cup, he is already a slow forward by nature, and now his age has made him even slower. He has not scored a major international goal for a long time and the ones he scored recently have been against weak teams such as Laos who have very weak defense. Even MLS, a league that is known to hire older players, did not want to give a serious offer to Ali Daie. Daie is simply too old and too slow for major competitions.

His experience and what he has done for us is appreciated by us but will not benefit us in the world cup. We simply need faster forwards. If he really wants to help Iran, perhaps he can share his world class experience with younger players.

Another reason is world cup is like a job fair for football players. Club coaches, agents, and football investors watch players and their potential closely. They often end up going with a young player, whom they can invest on. If Daie leaves, he can give chance to a younger player to possibly shine in world cup, and get contracts from good European clubs. This would be good for both the younger forward and Iran’s football.

So Daie must leave, although I don’t see that likely. Specially with the way football is managed in Iran.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Abedzaadeh
IK Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianPlaya408

Case Closed

P.S. Kaiser hal kon
So we reduce our chances of success in the WC so Daei can have his final goodbye?
Abedzaadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
PersianPlaya408
Hall of famer

Rep Power: 22PersianPlaya408 will become famous soon enoughPersianPlaya408 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
He is also 37 years old and doesn't move on the field. Leader on the field...hmm...I'm sure the players would respect someone like Mahdavikia on the field more, who has probably more football experience abroad and in tougher situations as Daei. If you want Daei for the intangible reasons, invite him to sit on the bench and cheer. Having him on the field is forcing the rest of the team to play an unnatural role and have to play around him. Why not give someone who deserves a spot more than him and also help out the players that have to dance to his tune.
well personally, im not one of those guys who thinks Daei is still the greatest... some of your points are right, although i still think he fits in pretty well with current team, he has learned what to do out there, does not need to score all the goals or touch the ball as much...

if it was a perfect world and things were up to me, i would bring Daei to world cup, probably use him for first half of mexico match, and possibly sub him out depending on how the game goes... and i would rest him against portugal and let him play the full 90 against angola... however this will not and cannot happen with the way things are in iranian sports

but kaz you make some good points, i just dont think casting daei aside and not picking him for team melli would be a morally correct decision from IFF and i dont htink it will improve our team as you suggest either
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
fakhfour
IK Goal Keeper

Ali Daei has been, without any doubt, one of the best Iranian football players. He has scored many goals for TM, some have been crucial; he has the world record of the goals scored and finally he was the first Iranian playing in a first-class team like Bayern. But we are here to see if Ali Daei should still play for TM or not.

There are some facts we can not neglect:

1. Ali Daei is old. He is not fast on the field and, in 90% of the matches played by TM, he is far behind the average of the ball possession per player.
2. When Daei is on the field, the position of other players changes. The first example is Hashemian who should play some meters behind Daei.
3. In a system with 2 forwards, Daei occupies the place of a younger forward. Based on the number of the goals scored, the speed, and the scoring sense, there are other forwards, like Enayati, Borhani, Kazemian, who should have a chance (a chance is not 15 minutes in 1 game!) to perform in this position.
4. In a system with only 1 forward, Hashemian deserves definitely the position, not Daei
5. Daei, as a captain, is not irreplaceable. Mahdavikia e.g. could do the job. Daei is used to yell at other players, this is not managing a team.
6. Being one of the most glorious players of the Iranian football history does not mean you should remain in the team for ever. Daei belongs to TM; TM does not belong to anyone (that answers to the principal question of the thread).
7. Daei is too much involved in the politics and side-issues. That’s what I call “conflict of interest”. The fact that Daei has a sport jersey factory and has sponsored TM is the first and the most obvious example. Daei has now many relations and is politically powerful. He can change coaches or fire players (I can not forget the case of Mobali). This means a new “Ali Parvin” for our football, and we really don’t need one.

Based on these points, I think Daei should retire. But I know (referring to number 7) that he will not. This is not only a decision of the coach. This is a political issue.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
Sherwin

Rep Power: 27Sherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura about

My former high school football coach at Mission Viejo High(#1 American Footbal team in the USA ) would always tell us before a game, "The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back of the jersey." This is good saying so going by this logic Daei belongs to Team Meli because the name "Iran" is more important than the name Daei.Look Ali Daei has done great things for TM, and with his help we are now one of the "big four" in Asia. Now this does not put him above the team, and Daei is not above the team.

I think Mr. Daei would agree with me because someone asked him, "do you think they should retire your #10 jersey?" Mr. Daei responded, "#10 belongs to Iran not to me." Even Mr. Daei understands this concept and I was glad to hear him say that.