Irankicks Football Talk

Go Back   Irankicks Football Talk > Irankicks.com Rules Read before posting > In-Depth football discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #41
Kaz
IK Defender

Rep Power: 16Kaz will become famous soon enoughKaz will become famous soon enough
Re: ALI DAEI speaks up: "The technical staff led to Team Melli's downfall"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftadeh
Kaz, what you say sounds so true, but if you localise the matter to Iran at this AFC, we were in a position to do extremely well, given some wise decisions by the coach. GN failed miserably, fundamentally because he is crap as a coach, if he wasn't he would have not kept Khatibi in, changed the goalkeeper etc, etc.

Someone in today's Iranvarzeshi was quoted saying:
"Ghalenoi does not know that he doesn't know."
So true...
Ironically, it was said by the person who came to replace a successful GN heading to coach Esteghlal. Same person was shown the door at this club, just a little while after .

And, I think GN made 1-2 mistakes, which cost us the game against S.Korea. But he was a good coach and a talented one. His inexperience was his let-down. We outplayed every team we faced and were never dominated. One cannot say that for our last campaign, even though we did go 1 game further. No, we should have beaten S.Korea, but it was a shame for both us and GN that it did not happen. Because now, we're playing the blame game...for the sake of blame and not for any real critique.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #42
Hamid_Blue
IK Coach

Rep Power: 19Hamid_Blue will become famous soon enoughHamid_Blue will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Ironically, it was said by the person who came to replace a successful GN heading to coach Esteghlal. Same person was shown the door at this club, just a little while after .

And, I think GN made 1-2 mistakes, which cost us the game against S.Korea. But he was a good coach and a talented one. His inexperience was his let-down. We outplayed every team we faced and were never dominated. One cannot say that for our last campaign, even though we did go 1 game further. No, we should have beaten S.Korea, but it was a shame for both us and GN that it did not happen. Because now, we're playing the blame game...for the sake of blame and not for any real critique.
Kaz jan ... although I did not agree with your previous assessments of AC, I fully agree with your comments above.

GN made mistakes as any coach would do. But he was caught in a stage much bigger than he had experienced before.

SKorea did not dominate us but if you take away 2-3 incidents, the game was very even. This SKorean team relied on long ball. When the game started and I saw 3 slow defenders, I knew we were trying to be conservative. At the same time, I hoped this is just like previous 3 games, and we will change out tactics in the 2nd half. If we would have started with Kaabi instead of Nosrati, we could have reduced the field (distance between defensive line and attackers). This is very comparable to how we played against China in 2004. We were very conservative.
Hamid_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM   #43
Oftadeh
IK Goal Keeper

Rep Power: 17Oftadeh will become famous soon enoughOftadeh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Because now, we're playing the blame game...for the sake of blame and not for any real critique.
Again, your comments are true, except the above. I have seen blame on this forum, but also plenty of critique, with specific mistakes being discussed. The problem is GN does not seem to want to admit to them and accept that he was out of his depth - otherwise he would have made better decisions when it really counted. This in turn will inflame the blame.
Oftadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #44
Kaz
IK Defender

Rep Power: 16Kaz will become famous soon enoughKaz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftadeh
Again, your comments are true, except the above. I have seen blame on this forum, but also plenty of critique, with specific mistakes being discussed. The problem is GN does not seem to want to admit to them and accept that he was out of his depth - otherwise he would have made better decisions when it really counted. This in turn will inflame the blame.
Maybe you're right, but it depends who you're quoting. If you want direct answers from GN himself, I suggest you watch 90. He goes in much detail to stress his reasonings.

But thinking about it, even on that show, the interviewers were more interested in getting an apology from GN than getting his reasonings. You can clearly see how cornered the poor man has become. Unfortunately, as aforesaid, inexperience and the lack of political savvy to handle the situation is making him an easy target.

Also, I wasn't really talking about the forum at all, mostly the football media at large. The forums have given parallel examples too, however. Anyone can give a criticism of 'if' and 'why' but do not care for GN's response. In the interview, he is mostly reasonable with all his assertions. I, for one, cannot fault him so much. Obviously, he is not the perfect coach, but he is far from what he is being made out to be. Unfortunately, people do not realise that the precedent we keep setting after each undesirable performance is going to be followed when the next coach is sitting in the hot seat. There seems a big move in undermining the coach, and what worse, by his colleagues. You don't hear so much of this in the Western Media. But such clashes are a daily thing in Iran. They make it out to be "Days of Our Lives".

Last edited by Kaz : 07-31-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 AM   #45
rsedighi
IK Water boy

He will always be the king.
rsedighi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #46
Kian
IK Midfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

So Kaz,

Let me get this straight, GN does not have any formal education in coaching. He is also inexperienced according to you, what in god's name then qualifies him as a 'good' coach?

The real reason I'm responding to this thread is that Ali Daei is now the head coach. It's time to see whether or not he is a believer of the saying : Gar to behtar mizani , bestaan bezan!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #47
Kaz
IK Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kian View Post
So Kaz,

Let me get this straight, GN does not have any formal education in coaching. He is also inexperienced according to you, what in god's name then qualifies him as a 'good' coach?

The real reason I'm responding to this thread is that Ali Daei is now the head coach. It's time to see whether or not he is a believer of the saying : Gar to behtar mizani , bestaan bezan!
GN was under Christoph Daum's tutelage in Leverkusen and is a regular in coaching clinics.

His inexperience (which I referred to) was due to his match-game experience - or lack of it. If that makes sense. You can only know so much studying something; practice of that field will make you a better skilled individual.

I think he is a very knowledgeable coach who is willing to better himself by studying more and making changes but being the head coach of Iran is a big ask. You have to know how to talk to people, talk to the media, pick your players and be politically astute. You have to know that TM is the people's team and it is a much different ball of wax to coaching a club.

Maybe with a few more medals, cups and grey hairs he will earn a spot on the TM bench again.