Irankicks Football Talk

Go Back   Irankicks Football Talk > Irankicks.com Rules Read before posting > In-Depth football discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
aliirooni
Hall of famer

Eight Years Ago, Now!

The following is not my post. It is Sina's that I read over at IFC. I found it very interesting that I thought I share with you all.

Eight Years Ago, Now!

It was almost eight years ago. The header, the goalieís dive, and then a goal was scored. Hamidís run, his tears, and my nationís tears gave a deeper meaning to the game of soccer. It was the satisfaction or maybe a sense of greatness that made me proud of being Iranian more than ever.

Since then our national team has evolved. Some players are still there. The coach is not the same. Neither is the head of our football federation. There is so much to prove. Every man or woman involved has something at stake. I am from a country where my men and women struggle when relating to greatness.

Branko Ivankovich the head coach of our team has feared for his job ever since we qualified for the World Cup. My people expect too much. They are the sons of Darius and Cyrus. They want to be winners. Brankoís job and professional career will be on the line in Germany. He has to prove something to himself and my nation.

Ali Daei, the captain of our team, is 37 years old. Many believe he should not even play. He can still score goals but running for ninety full minutes is another question. Could he deliver what is expected of him with the young talents watching over from the bench? Daei does also have something at stake in Germany. He must prove his critics wrong. He must show that he can still play.

Mirzapour is our goalie. Last year, he has had his bad days. The bad exits, the emotional outbreaks, and his injury were all fuels to the fire of his critics. He claims that he has corrected his mistakes. He knows that he is not a fix but then again in this World Cup his job is on the line. With bright talents such as Talebloo on the bench, Mirzapour knows that there is little room for mistake.

Then there is Dadkan. He has been the head of our football federation. Many blame him or ridicule him for managing and preparing our national team. Some say he must be fired. Dadkan wants to resign anyway. This World Cup will also in some sorts will be a report card of how much good he has done. The guidelines and the current way of our federation might very change depending on what transpires in Germany.

Finally we have come down to my nation. They know that their country is going the wrong way. They feel embarrassed and upset when other countries do not wish to play with us. With so little for them to say, all their hope is invested in a national team. To them World Cup is way more than a game. Competing with the best at one stage does elevate their spirits and makes it easier for them to relate to greatness.

It is now eight years later. We are there again. Another one of us will run with tears in his eyes on behalf of my nation and he too will give even a deeper meaning to the game of soccer. It will be the satisfaction or maybe a sense of greatness that will make me proud of being an Iranian. More than ever!

Writing for IFC
Sina
Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Sherwin

Rep Power: 26Sherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura about
Re: Eight Years Ago, Now!

I hate to say it but 8 years after that game we haven't done much. At least USA can claim they made it to the 3rd round back in 2002. We have an embarassing ellimination to Bahrain back in 2002, and one tie in WC2006 against Angola to show for. Football is a what have you done for me lately sport. That USA win was nice and all but IT WAS 8 YEARS AGO.
Nation

WC 2006 here we come.
Sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Ahmad18s
IK Forward

Rep Power: 17Ahmad18s will become famous soon enoughAhmad18s will become famous soon enough

We can't keep looking back to that win against the USA in '98. It's sad when I hear other Iranians talking about that win like it was yesterday. Why do I think it's sad? Because after talking about the USA win, there's nothing else to be talked about. NOTHING!! Asian Games is ok, but not great. We have to win the 2007 Asia Cup this year for the sake of our futbol program. We keep saying that we're Asia's BEST, but it's easy to see that Korea, Japan, and yes, even the Saudi's have accomplished WAY more then TM since 1994. Another third place finish (refs were bought) won't be orth anything this time around. We have to be Asian Champs and get into the Confederations Cup tourney. This is the time you guys. This is the time to finally propel TM up above everyone in Asia and have a chance to play with the Superpower teams.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Sherwin

Rep Power: 26Sherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad18s
We can't keep looking back to that win against the USA in '98. It's sad when I hear other Iranians talking about that win like it was yesterday. Why do I think it's sad? Because after talking about the USA win, there's nothing else to be talked about. NOTHING!! Asian Games is ok, but not great. We have to win the 2007 Asia Cup this year for the sake of our futbol program. We keep saying that we're Asia's BEST, but it's easy to see that Korea, Japan, and yes, even the Saudi's have accomplished WAY more then TM since 1994. Another third place finish (refs were bought) won't be orth anything this time around. We have to be Asian Champs and get into the Confederations Cup tourney. This is the time you guys. This is the time to finally propel TM up above everyone in Asia and have a chance to play with the Superpower teams.

Exactly my point. We only have an embarassing ellimination at the hands of Bahrain in WC2002, while our American counterparts made it to the elte 8. This year we have only a tie in the WC to show for against freaking Anola. Hey at least the Americans tied aagisnt the Italians.

Nobody outside of Asia gives a flying crap about Asian cup. People tend to talk about that Iran USA game as if it was yesterday, but in reality it was 8 freaking years ago. For crying out loud Bill Clinton was the President of US. Anywahs let's see if Iran can qualify for the WC this year and go through to the next round.
Nation

WC 2006 here we come.
Sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote