Irankicks Football Talk

Go Back   Irankicks Football Talk > Irankicks.com Rules Read before posting > In-Depth football discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
fakhfour
IK Goal Keeper

Let's discuss Iran-Taipei

Dear all
There are many threads on Ik forum about this game, but Iím tired to see always the same comments. Letís have a deep analysis of the match.
Here are my two cents:

1. The Iranian game plan was poor. There were too many personal mistakes (call them technical) and some very old problems still exist (Iíll come back to this pont).
2. The substitutions were in general good. This was not the case in our last games, but this time, IMHO, Branco brought something new to his team with his changes. Madanchi and Kazemina were very good, Akbarpour was active but needs more time and self-confidence.
3. Among the new players, Jabbari was the one we can not ignore. He had many mistakes, but also many good passes. His positioning was very good. He assisted 2 goals.
4. Alavi was not good, at least under the average of this game.
5. Our defense didnít have a chance to show something interesting.
6. There is a very important point I noticed: Even against Taipei, with 10 chances, we didnít have any plan on CORNERS! We didnít turn any of them to a chance.
7. Daei was slow and didnít touch the ball often. But he was efficient 3 times (I counted 11 ball-touches by him). He had one nice header, one assist and one goal. 3/11, is that good or poor?
8. Khatibi didnít show what he can. It was not his day.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Re: Let's discuss Iran-Taipei

fakhour Jan,

In my opinion, you CAN NOT draw any conclusions from a match versus Chinese Taipe.

Winning against a team that packs its own half with 11 players and is just there to let as few goals as possible is basically WORTHLESS.

- Our defence was NOT tested today.

- Our goalkeeper could have signed a few autographs while our players were busy in the other half of the pitch.

- Zare was actually able to dribble past few players after a few years in Team Melli. I think he'll sleep a happy man tonight.

It really amuses me to see people ANALYZING Iran Vs Chinese Taipe.
This was not a football match.
It was a SHOOTING PRACTICE for us.

The best conclusion you can draw is that Javad Nekounam has really lost his shooting touch.

Personally, I took today off from work to go and have FUN.
For me, watching Iran Vs Chinese Taipe was PURE FUN.
I missed Team Melli.
This was their first official game of 2006.

I was glad to see new faces like Teymurian, Jabbari, Madanchi, Akbarpour, or Khatibi in the team.
This was really refereshing.

Since you opened this topic and asked us to ANALYZE the game, I'm going to add few of my observations, even though, as I already said, such a game is not worth analyzing.

POSITIVE ASPECTS:

- Jabbari and Teymurian showed that they can be good solutions in midfield.

- Branko's goob substitutions = Madanchi scoring twice and assisting another goal!
It amazing how many times Ivankovic has made great substitutions that have actually changed our game for the better!

NEGATIVE ASPECTS:

- Bad crosses! Its amazing how 70% of our crosses didn't even got past the first opposing defender! And keep in mind, the Chinese Taipe players were VERY SHORT.

- The never-ending problem with our game speed!
We play VERY SLOW.
This problem has been there since 1996 when I started to follow Team Melli carefully.
Sometimes I have the impression that even I play FASTER FOOTBALL with my friends than some of Team Melli players who have do to these following steps each and every time they get the ball:

1- Stop it
2- Turn with it.
3- Move with it for a LOOOOOOOONG time.
4- Lose it or give a pass-back to team-mate.

And a final note about ALI DAEI:

He scored one.
He assisted one.
He hit the post once.
He gave another world-class pass to Khatibi, just a few seconds after Iran went 2-0 up, Khatibi though missed a 100% scoring chance.

So, these are the highlights of the game for a 37 year old player.

Can someone kindly tell me what were the highlights of the game for ALI DAEI's attacking partner, Hussein Khatibi?
Regards
Amir

[b]MAKE MONEY while SURFING on IranKicks. REGISTER on the ABOVE LINK[/b]

Last edited by Kaiser Amir : 02-22-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Kaiser Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Sherwin

Rep Power: 27Sherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Amir
fakhour Jan,

In my opinion, you CAN NOT draw any conclusions from a match versus Chinese Taipe.

Winning against a team that packs its own half with 11 players and is just there to let as few goals as possible is basically WORTHLESS.

- Our goalkeeper could have signed a few autographs while our players were busy in the other half of the pitch.

- Zare was actually able to dribble past few players after a few years in Team Melli. I think he'll sleep a happy man tonight.

The best conclusion you can draw is that Javad Nekounam has really lost his shooting touch.

I missed Team Melli.

I was glad to see new faces like Teymurian, Jabbari, Madanchi, Akbarpour, or Khatibi in the team.

Since you opened this topic and asked us to ANALYZE the game, I'm going to add few of my observations, even though, as I already said, such a game is not worth analyzing.

POSITIVE ASPECTS:

- Branko's goob substitutions = Madanchi scoring twice and assisting another goal!
It amazing how many times Ivankovic has made great substitutions that have actually changed our game for the better!

NEGATIVE ASPECTS:

- Bad crosses! Its amazing how 70% of our crosses didn't even got past the first opposing defender! And keep in mind, the Chinese Taipe players were VERY SHORT.

We play VERY SLOW.
This problem has been there since 1996 when I started to follow Team Melli carefully.
Sometimes I have the impression that even I play FASTER FOOTBALL with my friends than some of Team Melli players who have do to these following steps each and every time they get the ball:

1- Stop it
2- Turn with it.

He scored one.
He assisted one.
He hit the post once.
He gave another world-class pass to Khatibi, just a few seconds after Iran went 2-0 up, Khatibi though missed a 100% scoring chance.

Can someone kindly tell me what were the highlights of the game for ALI DAEI's attacking partner, Hussein Khatibi?
Regards
Amir
Great post Kaiser Amir jaan especially about Zare. I don't know why we give this guy immunity because we have more deserving players who can contribute mroe to the team. I agree with you on the fact that playing aginst tese kid of teams DOES NOTHING FOR OUR FOOTBALL. Honestly we don't improve from playing these poor teams. We need to play agianst more quality teams. This team is not evne a quality team in Asia let alone the world.

Anyways mate good post.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherwinRazmy
especially about Zare. I don't know why we give this guy immunity because we have more deserving players who can contribute mroe to the team.
SherwinRazmy Jan,

I have ALWAYS said that I will not critisize the team selection of a coach.

I will critisize the coach if he DOES NOT get the results, but the team selection is HIS business, not mine.

Its simple really:

If you can get results with Zare and Ostad Asadi in defence, then thats fine by me.
But if you WON'T, then I will critizie you, the coach, directly, not the players.

Why?

Because they were picked by YOU and didn't come to national team on their own.

Back to Zare...I will only say this:

I don't like this player, but I want Ivankovic to die by his own sword.

And...Madanchi showed a GREAT DISPLAY today!
Maybe he can replace Zare slowly. Who knows?

By the way, its AMAZING how some people BASHED Ivankovic for calling up Madanchi....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherwinRazmy
I agree with you on the fact that playing aginst tese kid of teams DOES NOTHING FOR OUR FOOTBALL. Honestly we don't improve from playing these poor teams. We need to play agianst more quality teams.
Well, you see Sherwin Jan, this game was NOT played so our team can IMPROVE.

It was an official Asian Cup qualifier.
We HAD to play it to make up the numbers.

I'm looking forward to the match versus Costa Rica next week!

Old 02-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Sina
Banned

With thanks to Fakhfour for starting this discussions here is what I think about the match after watching the full game.

Although this was Chinese Taipei and not a strong team that could really test our lineup, I must say that we did not approach this game the right way. If you bear with me I will explain....

Offensively...

Our players were disorganized and at many times they were not at their positions. For example Nosrati was at one point closer to Taiwan's goal comparing to our forwards. This was not a corner situation but just a routine play.

Our game play plan for the first half consisted of moving the ball forward in the midfield. Passing it to the wings and have them send crosses so that Ali Daei or any other player could head the ball in or convert the opportunity given. Jabbari and Kaebi did well under this plan while Sattare Zare who was our left wing did nothing and his crosses were terrible.

We did very little ground work during the first half. Other than Kaebi who in my opinion was the best player with his foot work and amazing playmaking skills the focus was mostly on sending crosses. Considering Taiwan's short players, Ali Daei could have been more effective in the first half.

We proved that when we work with the ball on the ground we are way more effective. Madanchi, Kazemian, Kaebi, Jabbari, and even Daei did threaten to score goals once they started passing the ball on the ground rather resorting to long passes and crosses.

We had and have no plans for corners. The Taiwanese team had a much more effective use for their corners comparing to what we did on their half. We simply tried to force the issue.

Nekounam, Khatibi, and Akbarpour were also awful. Nekounam had a hard time sending effective passes in the first half and his passes were mostly behind our players. Khatibi and Akbarpour showed that they are not opportunistic players and they repeatedly wasted golden chances.

Defensively...

Our players committed alot of fouls out of desperation due to their slow speed and lack of discipline of remaining at their positions or their slow speed when running back to our own half. The notable fouling machines were Nosrati and Nekounam.

Just like the South Korea game, our defense was caught offguard several times. At one point their player got posession of the ball behind our defenders, while they were running back.

Nosrati also passed the ball to a Taiwanese player in our own half. Later in the game he was also dribbled by one of their players near our own goal. He is certainly incosistent and the only thing that was working for him today was his aggressive presence.

Coaching...

Branko gave Kazemian, Madanchi, Akbarpour, Alavi, Jabbari, Teymourian, and Taleblou the chance to make their case and showcase their talents. This was a positive move and it did help us a great deal in the second half. Ivankovich however did not consider giving the same opportunity to Borhani, Rajabzadeh, Amirabadi, and Sadeghi.

There was no reason for Daei to be in this game. When playing such easy opponents I would have expected the youngster Borhani to have an edge over Daei.

The presence of Daei does alter the approach towards this game, where you will see more crosses rather ground work.

We showed no plans executing corners and the Taiwanese side with all the fairness was more dangerous on their corners comparing to what we did. The lack of discipline exhibited during this match was certainly to be blamed on Branko. Our boys were just running loose with no effective strategy.

We exhibited the same weaknesses on the left wing and it was embarrassing to see that we were ineffective from that side against a Chinese Taipei team.

The poor play of Zare and couple of others did put Branko's selection of the 27 men squad into question. There were certainly more deserving players who could have made this list.
Sina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Sina Jan,

You observation about the poor use of set-pieces is right on.

However, this is one area I'm not at all worried about.

In the past decade, Iran has probably managed to score the highest number of goals from set-pieces under Ivankovic.

- The goal versus Oman in the last minute in the 2004 Asian Cup
- The first goal versus North Korea in a World Cup qualifier away
- The match-winning goal versus North Korea in another WCQ at home
- The match-winning goal versus Bahrain in Azadi
- The first goal by Hashemian against Japan in a WCQ in Azadi

These are just a few important goals that come to my mind right now and they ALL came from dead ball situations.
We also managed a few goals from corner-kicks in the 2004 West Asian Games.

So, today we might have wasted our set-pieces, but overally this is not a problem for Team Melli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina

Our players were disorganized and at many times they were not at their positions. For example Nosrati was at one point closer to Taiwan's goal comparing to our forwards. This was not a corner situation but just a routine play.
Sorry Sina Jan,

But the example you are providing above DOES NOT demonstrate that our team lacks organization.

It proves that football is a DYNAMIC GAME.
The best teams in the world are those who attack with 11 men and defend with the same number of players.

Just look at the Chelsea Vs Barcelona game which finished a few minutes ago. The game-winning goal was scored by Eto'o who converted a CROSS, sent from just outside Chelsea's penalty box by Rafa Marquez.

Rafa Marquez is a CENTRAL DEFENDER, just like Nosrati.
However, when Barcelona started a counter-attack he left his post, ran all the way down to the other side of the pitch and assisted the match-winning goal.

Thats modern football!

Quote:

Khatibi and Akbarpour showed that they are not opportunistic players and they repeatedly wasted golden chances.
OK!

So, Khatibi and Akbarpour showed what you say above.

Reza Enayati showed in the West Asian Games that he CAN NOT score even versus U-17 sides.

Hmmm...I wonder why the big bad Branko INSISTS on playing the 37 year old ALI DAEI...

Quote:

Coaching...

Ivankovich however did not consider giving the same opportunity to Borhani, Rajabzadeh, Amirabadi, and Sadeghi.
Out of these players you named I also would have liked to see Borhani and Rajabzadeh given a chance.

Playing Amirabadi and Sadeghi would have been USELESS though.
The Chinese Taipe NEVER tested our defence, so if even if we had seen these two boys on the pitch, we couldn't have made a CLEAR IMPRESSION about their potencial.

I hope however to see both Amirabadi and Borhani involved in the Costa Rica game next week.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Amir
IK Captain

Quote:
fakhour Jan,

I missed Team Melli.

POSITIVE ASPECTS:

NEGATIVE ASPECTS:

We play VERY SLOW.

1- Stop it
2- Turn with it.

He scored one.
He assisted one.
He hit the post once.

Regards
Amir
i wouldnt want to comment much on this game. the above quoted post says it all. however there is just one part which i dont agree with. can u guess which one yep its the last part

Ali Daei had very bad headers and he was also there for 90 min which he shouldnt have been. more goals should have been scored by our 2 forwards. we need faster and younger forwards not khatibi and daei, that was the worst part. maybe give them a chance in the last 15 min but these players already have experience with TM so why not give more chance to younger and inexperienced players against Chinese Taipei. akbarpour got his chance but still it was unnecessary to put the 2 experienced forwards up front when there is younger players in need of experience, and this game was their chance.
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir

Ali Daei had very bad headers and he was also there for 90 min which he shouldnt have been.
Amir Jan,

Lets not transform this into a DAEI thread.
These are my FINAL remarks about him since I don't want to change the subject of this post:

You say ALI DAEI had very bad headers, I say you are unfair.

One of his headers crashed against the post in the first half and another one was amazingly saved by the goalie in the 2nd period.
Actually, this second header had so much power on it that a friend of mine thought ALI DAEI had vollyed the ball with his foot!

Also, you critisize ALI DAEI for his headers, but you don't talk about the SERVICE provided to him.

A good header NEEDS a good cross.
Our crosses were AWFUL today! Most of them didn't even got past the first defender.

So, I'm not saying ALI DAEI was excellent today.
I don't even care if he plays for Team Melli or not as long as we are getting the RESULTS, but I say be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir
we need faster and younger forwards not khatibi and daei,
Amir Jan,

If even Khatibi is NOT considered a fast forward, then I don't know whats your definition of FAST?!

My opinion:

Being fast is not enough!
Its not track and field we are talking about, its FOOTBALL.
You need quality to score goals and get into scoring positions.
Some have it, some don't...

Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Amir
IK Captain

Quote:

Amir Jan,

If even Khatibi is NOT considered a fast forward, then I don't know whats your definition of FAST?!

My opinion:

Being fast is not enough!
Its not track and field we are talking about, its FOOTBALL.
You need quality to score goals and get into scoring positions.
Some have it, some don't...
i wont comment on daei for the sake of keeping the thread to its subject

ok you say its not track and field, i agree. but can you tell me how thierry henry scored yesterday? would they win the crucial match if it was not for his VA-VA-VOOOOM? would a player like nistelrooy be able to score that? thanks..

khatibi & daei combination is a horrendous one especially for a game against taiwan we need young players to gain experience. i would give daei a chance but my first 2 choices would be shojaei and kazemian. they would definately benifit from this match and i believe they do have the necessary quality to run,dribble,pass,use their technique and make a proper shoot not a "sa'ati" one be ghole khiabani in a 1on1 situation with a taiwan goalie. im only criticising khatibi here.

Last edited by Amir : 02-22-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Amir Jan,

My opinion:

Branko went for the DAEI - Khatibi combination to have the best of the two worlds as they say.

ALI DAEI = Height advantage over his opponents

Khatibi = The speed that DAEI lacks

Unfortunatly, the crosses provided for ALI DAEI were poor to say the least and Khatibi showed his limits with a poor performance.

Branko's intentions were good, but the outcome not so bright.

And in football there is a famous saying:

The best players are ALWAYS those who DID NOT play

This means its easy to critisize those who were on the pitch, but say that, THEORITICALLY, if others were in their place they would have done better.

Once the match is finished, no one can EVER know for SURE if the Kazemian - Borhani combination would have done better or worse than ALI DAEI - Khatibi.

Its just a theory...