Irankicks Football Talk

Go Back   Irankicks Football Talk > Irankicks.com Rules Read before posting > In-Depth football discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Sina
Banned

Icon1 Bargh Shiraz, the team that was not invented by Thomas Edison!

Hi Everybody

This is the second in a series of articles that I will be composing on IPL teams. Please bare with me because these articles are only intended at educating the fans on IPL. I will be posting my articles on this forum from now on since I would like to see more of you posting here Thanks to Perjad for making this a possiblity.

Bargh Shiraz, The team that was not invented by Thomas Edison!

When Thomas Edison introduced the first electric lamp to the world in the year of 1879, little he knew that some years later, a group of youth working at a power plant company would come together and form a football team that still to date is competing at a professional level.

A group of young workers at Shiraz's power plant back in 1325 Shamsi gathered in the office of Nematolahi and decided then to form a soccer team. Later in the Ordibehesht of that month the team officially started off with Mr Bahador Ghahreman as their headcoach.

Obviously the team faced tremendous financial problems in the beginning. The very little money that they received from the company was cut off and the team stayed together only for the sacrifices of many and the close bonds amongst the players. After ten years of successful showings, this Shiraz team started losing ground and following a series of changes in the team made its day view in Iran's Takhte Jamshid League at the year of 1350.

Since 1350, Bargh Shiraz has been absent in Iranian championship for only 4 times due to relegation and falling into the second league Hassan Habibi and Mahmoud Yavari are some of the notable former coaches of Barghe Shiraz during the years.

Of notables playing for Barghe Shiraz one can mention Satare Zare, the Teame Melli player. At the first glance one can realize that the team is very young with no players of above 30 years age. Barghe Shiraz is being led this season by Zelanko Ivankovich the brother of our current Teame Melli's coach. Just like his brother Zelanko has been in hot waters recently, having to explain for his team's poor showing in this year's IPL. However his job is safe for now as Mr Salehi Bargh Shiraz's boss has assured him that he will remain on the job until the end of this season.

Bargh is currently ranked 13th in IPL with 21 points out of 20 matches played. Unfortunately this team has a very difficult remaining schedule and the fact that the might fall to the second league is a very real possiblity.

Bargh is ranked last in IPL for offense (13 goals scored in 20 games!) and 10th in defense! Their leading scorer for this IPL season is Abedi with a total of 4 goals scored in 20 matches! Indeed goal scoring has been a major issue for Bargh this season and their Croatian coach has done to little to relieve the problem.

Shiraz is indeed one of the large and most attractive cities in today's Iran and the failure of the Shirazi team to attract better strikers is unbelievable. One also to keep in mind that this Shirazi team is being sponsored by a power company ran by the government. This pretty much has hindered this and every other club from becomming true commercial entities.

The question remains. How can a new Shahid Ghandi team with severe financial troubles manage to aquire foreign strikers yet Barghe Shiraz with an old history in IPL struggle to recruit any better strikers?

Bargh Shiraz is one of the very oldest soccer teams in Iran's soccer history and the fact that they have constantly played at the professional level should be a credit to their management. However, by failing to achieve any real success throughout these years and their lacklusters in scoring goals, the Shirazi fans have found it easier to cheer on the Fajre Sepasi team with an average of two time more fans showing in their games at home

Barghe Shiraz is now simply over shadowed by the better performances of Fajre Sepasi Shiraz. Does Shiraz have the potential to successfully feed two IPL caliber teams? That question is yet to be answered.

Sina

Last edited by footballeirani : 02-01-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Sina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Pouya82

Rep Power: 24Pouya82 is a jewel in the roughPouya82 is a jewel in the roughPouya82 is a jewel in the roughPouya82 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Bargh Shiraz, the team that was not invented by Thomas Edison!

Thanks alot Sina jaan for the article.

This reply isn't much directed towards what you wrote since it was wonderfully written and I loved it. It is more my thoughts on the subject that you brought up. And I must say I'm glad that you are writing these things to make people like me more familier with the teams.

I just started following IPL this year and have very little information on the teams and their background. I only know that Kakoo Shirazi is very in love with his Shiraz teams. Bargh and Fajr. Other than that I have always known about Esteghlal and Perspolis. And I have always had my heart @ Perspolis even if my friends in Iran are all Esteghlale. But since I never have followed the league it has been hard to fully say that I am a Perspolis Supporter. But after following this years league I have despite the troubles been getting more and more in love with the team.

You have mentioned two very crucial factors for a successful team in a football hungry nation like Iran, and one is that Shiraz is a big city with alot of possibilities, and the other one that the club has a great history. Now the question is (like you have asked) why they are not so successfull.

One of the factors from what I read in the article can be the fact that the club is owned by the powercompany and that itself is a state run entity. Now how much attention does the club really get when it is a state run entity in the background?

Is Bargh-e Shiraz in the companys planning every year, (if they are) how much money and interest is put into the club? (I would guess very little, or very adequate)

There is many factors here, but like you said the management of Bargh-e Shiraz should be praised for their efforts for keeping the team in the top league for so long.

Can Shiraz have two top performing teams in the IPL?
  • Yes

I know Tehran is alot bigger, but still, if Tehran can make it work then Shiraz can do it also. Two teams is nothing for a big city like Shiraz. The problem that I have come to understand in the past has been that before IPL became PRO that the focus was always on only two teams. And that was Esteghlal and Perspolis. But since the league went PRO that focus has declined. Something that I have noticed the past season even if I've not fully followed the league.

This has also made the two big Tehran clubs to become more on the same level with their shahrestani opponents. Perspolis performance this season shows just that. This also showing that maybe the city isn't such a big factor anymore as it may have been in the past when everybody wanted to play for Esteghlal or Perspolis and move to Tehran.

One arguement would be that have a private company come in and take over Barghe Shiraz (like in the states). But we all know that this scenario in Iran isn't a good idea. They will have financial problems from the gecho. Or that is anyways what I think.

The other scenario is the one we have right now, that the state run clubs do show a lack of interest and financial backing that the club needs from the "BIG BOSSES".

But since I'm not very informed about their financial state we can skip that and go over to what can be done to make the club successfull. Or other problems that might hinder it.

One thought would be to invest in their youth programs and start developing their own players. This can be a cheep way to alot of success. Ajax is one such club even if we can't really compare Ajax with a club in the IPL. But still, there is a connection between the idea. And if performed well very applicable on a IPL team as well since their is alot of good talents in our country. Just a matter of finding them and utilizing them.

This idea has shown to be effective in other sports as well, one being Hockey. Now you can't really take the NHL teams into this equation since they draft their players. But the national teams in Europe do produce their own talents and some of them are prime examples of clubs making their own stars. To make an example you have MODO here in Sweden. They have always young players and develope their own players and are always successfull in the Swedish elite league even though the team comes from a tiny town in the northern parts of Sweden.
Some of the players they have produced are:

Markus Näslund (Vancouver Canucks)
Peter Forsberg (Philadelphia Flayers, and to many worlds best player today, he is also the highest rated player in the world)
Daniel Sedin (Vancouver Canucks)
Henrik Sedin (Vancouver Canucks)

And even in the NHL, some teams like the Atlanta trashers may play very poor for 2 - 3 seasons and come last in the league but during this time get good draftpicks and then build up a good young team that trains together and then comes and wins the Stanley Cup (look at Tampa Bay lightnings).

They invest in scouting and young players to build a new team, that will be both cheep and effective.

Now enough comparisons with Hockey.

What I wanted to say is that youth programs and youth investments are crucial to any pro team. Bargh-e Shiraz isn't any differant. Now this can be done the way Ajax and Modo do it, and that is to have kids in the organisation from an early age and train them and feed them the clubs gameplan. Or they can do it the scouting way and have scouts going around Iran chasing young talents to acquire to the club in a young age. If they would try to invest in that then they can raise their game one or two notches within a couple of years. But of course this isn't a overnight thing and needs time. And for it to be fully successfull they need a good plan and schooling for the young players.

One other way is for the management to sit down and go over their rutines and see where things go wrong and why the team doesn't perform good enough results. But for this I need more information on the managements situation and what they do for the club to be able to make any comments.

I just noticed how long this post has become and I haven't made a post this long for a very very long time. So I'll end it with the idea of a youth plan. That both getting good players and talents to the club and to get it in a cheep way is a very good way to boost the clubs performance. Not needing to spend alot of big bucks for it.

Fans usually like to have homegrown talents as well and will come see matches.

The other factors of how to get the fans involved and so on will have to wait for another post.

I can bet you that there is many more members out there that can more about IPL and the situation, and can comment about it.

And a last note before I end this post is that having two teams from a City is good because it brings Rivlary and Rivlary brings fans. These things are two big hits in the football world, so YES, Shiraz can and should have two top teams in the IPL.

Sorry for the long post guys... Just wanted to give some thoughts

Last edited by Pouya82 : 02-01-2006 at 07:06 PM. Reason: corrected a sentance
Pouya82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Sina
Banned

Pouya Jan

Thanks alot for your great post and I loved reading it. Sure was full of great ideas. After reading your post I wanted to mention a couple of things.

Eventhough the former Azadegan league has gone professional and became IPL, much of attention and money still goes to the two big clubs of Perspolis and Esteghlal. I never read anywhere that Sazmane Tarbiat Badani was going to give a billion toman to Barghe Shiraz or Shamushak Noshahr for whatever the reasons.

I guess there is luxury of being sponsored by Iran's sports body and have them burden your financial costs. That of course is the easy way, but yet again you are not utilizing your full potentials. There is a double standard where Esteghlal is going to be sponsored by Refah ministry and Bargh is being sponsored by a sub company of power ministry! I dont understand the logic of that.

I mean how big is Shiraz's power company and how much revenue they make? Besides they are a governmental ran business and I dont assume they can spend millions on Bargh Shiraz.

I loved your idea about youth education. I know for Kaveh's articles that Foolad Khuzestan has a youth program and mostly these youth will eventually play in the adult team. I however can not say the same thing about Bargh. Again money comes into play. How much investments can Bargh's company have in the team?

People abroad might be surprised but in Iran we got teams that are sponsored by a mayor's office, by a school, basij, and other entities. They are not truly commercial in real means and they dont need to be. They just find the minimum money that they can operate on and zigzag in the same spot for years.

One final note. You might be surprised but Bargh has had an average of 2000 fans attending their home games for this season. The game between Bargh and Fajr drew only 2500 people to the stadium. Talking about heated rivalry To Shiraz az in Khabar ha nist. The highest attendance for teams such as Bargh comes when they are playing Perspolis or Esteghlal.

In fact 20,000 fans showed up for each of those games. Seems like fans dont really care about other names even if they are performing at a better level in IPL. Only 2,000 fans showed up for Bargh vs ZobAhan. Now ZobAhan is currently doing better in IPL than Perspolis.! This my friends is a tragedy
Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Pouya82

Rep Power: 24Pouya82 is a jewel in the roughPouya82 is a jewel in the roughPouya82 is a jewel in the roughPouya82 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Sina jaan for the post, and you brought up some new interesting facts to the discussion that we have seen Kaveh discuss and others mention on the forum as well.

In my post I mentioned that another factor is the fans and how we can work on some ideas to improve that. I said I would not bring it up until later, and I guess this is the time for that. Cause having fans and having them coming to the games is of huge importance in a football clubs success.

But Success also builds fanbase. So they are both very dependent on eachother.

One problem that we both have mentioned and that you brought up is how it clearly shows that people still love Perspolis and Esteghlal despite the fact that the league became "PRO" and the teams got more even.

There are few reasons behind this in my opinion.

Well as I mentioned the youth program and how it will both take time and investment, the mission of getting fans to root for a team takes time too. A fan doesn't just change his team just beacuse IPL turned pro or a Shirazi team starts playing good. A hardcore fan sticks with his team threw thick and thin. So it is tough to judge the people of Shiraz for showing up in the 20 000 numbers during a game against Perspolis or Esteghlal and only 2500 in a derby. Cause these fans have mostly been following Iranian football for years and they have been with the old sytem of the league where there only was two teams that did most of the competing.

For this to change there has to be alot of factors taken into account. One is to have these youth players that evolve within the club to become good players and start performing for their A-team so that people living both in the city and outside of it can relate to him and the team and start feeling some kind of passion towards the team.

These changes will at first not happen with the more mature and older fans since like I've said a fan that has a club that he roots for and has done so for many years doesn't just change his back and opinion about a team with the wind. We call those fans for "BAND WAGON FANS" in the hockey community.

So what are some of the options to boos the teams popularity and fansbase?
  • Trying to get some nice sponsors (even if the team is owned threw a government run organisation/business) and have the team shown over Iran or the city in local ads can also be an alternative to boost the popularity of the team.

• Promoting the team in the city and having their merchendise all over the place will make people used to it and automaticly it will generate fans, specially amongst the younger people. - Any kind of promoting is welcomed and it doesn't need to cost alot of money, I bet many young children in Shiraz that root for bargh would volunteer to go out and do some promoting for the team, either handing out papers telling people when the games will happen, special events at the games that can bring in people. The options are many.

• Investing in the stadium and making it fan friendly. (Now I don't know the state the stadiums are in in Shiraz)

These were some points.
One other that we have already mentioned and that can generate fans is the youth-program that was mentioned earlier. You see if you have small kids in Shiraz joining a teams youth-program and playing in that team it will automaticly make them become a fan of their club. Like I've said its too late to change opinion of the fans that already excist in Iran to start rooting for another team. It is the younger generation that is the target.

Also when parents have their kids going and playing for a certain club and go and watch their games it will start making the parents symphatizing with the team too. I know my parents were like that when I played hockey and football.

So one of my conclusions is to target the younger generation of football fans in Shiraz to make them root for their local clubs, cause it is probaly a waste of investment and time to target the more mature and older fans.

Still all these things needs some kind of investment and to achieve one of these things you need the other. For a better stadium you first need fans that can come to it. To get a good youth-system going you need investments. And investments needs fans to come to the games so that they can generate revenue. All this can be a ugly circle that needs to be broken in one way or another.

And as you mentioned Sina jaan we don't know how big this company is or how much revenue they have to be able to give the club enough money for anything. But this is also for another post and a further discussion on the topic.

I will focus on the fans in this post.

And one other BIG FACTOR
is the TV coverage. If the Iranian channels would start to show other matches in the league and not only the ones containing Esteghlal and Perspolis the smaller clubs would start getting larger fanbases. For instance if IRIB would start airing commercials about the derby between Fajr and Bargh as if it was the game of the century. (these are tricks used in the USA and it works) Hyping up events and making people watch the games boosts the fanbase for clubs and brings revenue to the league and the shahrestani teams and other big cities like Shiraz and so on.

How else do you think that a hockey team in Florida can make it? or Phoenix? They put a coach like Gretzky (Gretzky is among the greatest players ever played the game of Hockey, like the Michael Jordan of Hockey) in the coache's booth as the teams coach and then promote the team as the next Stanley cup winner even if they know that they won't even make it to the playoffs.

Now I don't mean for the league or the team to advertise like they do in the US, cause its unrealistic and not really applicable for Iran. But you can use the ideas and generate other ideas out of these, and make them work for the environment that they are in.

All these tricks and messures can help bring in fans.

As a conclusion I would say that investing in the younger generation of the city to make them fans of the team and threw them get to parents or others is one alternative.

The other was that having the youth program and then have these youth players start playing for the A-team and perform good results so that the people of the city can relate to him and start feeling some kind of unity with the team.

And another good way was by promoting the team in smart ways. Spreading team merchendise that maybe don't need to cost much to produce or having small kids advertising about the games in the city to make the people aware of their local clubs games.

This became another long post and I'll end it here for now...

And Sina jaan, the problem of money is another one that we need to discuss here since it is of utter importance for our future as money and investments are key features in a successfull team and .............

Old 02-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Sina
Banned

Pouya Jan

Thanks for putting your time and writing this stuff which I actually read Your long posts are very intidimating and you should make em short man

Anyway all you have said will be fixed if our clubs were commercial entities and had to generate revenue. As long as we put the food in their mouth and the money in their pocket, the situation will remain as it is. Barghe Shiraz is a very old team Pouya jan and the fact that it does not have that many "band wagon" fans is telling enough.

Of course if clubs have to become commercialized then Iranian TV should not be state runned and that will not happen I guess we also need to take into account that in Iran fathers and mothers dont send their kids to fooball schools Most kids go to "kelase taghviati" in summer and as you know back there it is all about books and school.

It is rather a one dimensional value system. You grow up to either become a doctor, mohandes, or a lawyer. You need to see who is actually showing up at these football schools and their culture and the fans culture Non teame melli football is not well advertised in Iran. Alot of things have gone wrong man. It takes on jahel to screw up something and many wise men to make it correct again.

Unfortunately we got a long way to go
Old 02-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #6
Amir
IK Captain

Sina jan you are doing GREAT! if it continues like this then you are playing a great role! well done to you

Bargh Shiraz are no real threat anymore and unfortunately for some reason their team is performing worse every year and if it continues like this i think they will be in the middle table of division 2, like Leicester City.. maybe even worse.

But you never know, IPL is very inconsistent and you can see that by the different rankings of the teams every year. I think Bargh has 2 solutions to their problem: 1- ask for more financial support by the government. 2- if ignored, go on strike.

I dont know about the club administration, but if it has not been changed for a while then they should also change that too. Im sure what ive mentioned can at least help the club fight off relegation.

nice article once again and keep it up!
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
fakhfour
IK Goal Keeper

Sina jaan
Very good thread, thanks a lot. It was a nice restart for "in-depth discussions".
I would like to give my opinion about the two questions you asked in your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballeirani
...How can a new Shahid Ghandi team with severe financial troubles manage to aquire foreign strikers yet Barghe Shiraz with an old history in IPL struggle to recruit any better strikers?
I do agree that Ghandi is not a rich team. They are sponsored by a half governmental company (I'm not sure if it's 50% governmental) and are new to IPL. But there is big difference between these two sponsors/companies: Bargh is a service company but Shahid Ghandi is a real factory. That means that Bargh-e-Shiraz is a part of cultural program of a ministry (so who cares about a cultural program when the employees are not paid enough to live with one salary) when Ghandi needs advertisement to sell it's products.
I think it's very difficult to get the exact numbers for the budgets of these two teams, but I think this argument is enough to show that Ghandi has much more money.
I would also like to add that the foreigners of Ghandi are not well-known or even high-level players. They have been refused by some of IPL teams before they join Ghandi. Some Iranian players get much bigger salaries in IPL than the foreigners of Ghandi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballeirani
...Does Shiraz have the potential to successfully feed two IPL caliber teams? ...
Yes they have. Shiraz is one of the 5 most important cities of Iran. Tehran and Esfahan have already more than 2 teams in IPL. Shirazis deserve this (very nice and educated people). But the most important reason for me is those derbies make IPL more interesting. It's always good to have local competitions in IPL.
Vahid
Old 02-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
PersianPlaya408
Hall of famer

Rep Power: 22PersianPlaya408 will become famous soon enoughPersianPlaya408 will become famous soon enough

Very good article, Sina jan... i enjoyed it

I think Bargh Shiraz has always been known for having some great midfielders and defenders, they have lost alot of players to the more known teams... they had players such as Mehdi Shiri, Sattar Zareh as you mentioned and several other talented names in the IPL... i doubt they will go 1st division, but it is a possibility... there are some very good players in the weak teams in the standings... especially teams like shamooshak, malavan, esteghlal ahvaz or even bargh and aboo moslem... organization is one of barghs problems in my opinion, some games they show sparks of brilliance, and some games they play bad and defensive and useless counter attacks....
Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Ahmad18s
IK Forward

Rep Power: 17Ahmad18s will become famous soon enoughAhmad18s will become famous soon enough

I read this when it first came out and I forgot to comment on it, lol. Sina, you did a nice job on this article, and it was of most interest to me because both my parents are from Shiraz, and when I go to Iran, I stay in Shiraz 90% of the time. Good job Sina jan.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Sherwin

Rep Power: 27Sherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura aboutSherwin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina
Hi Everybody

This is the second in a series of articles that I will be composing on IPL teams. Please bare with me because these articles are only intended at educating the fans on IPL. I will be posting my articles on this forum from now on since I would like to see more of you posting here Thanks to Perjad for making this a possiblity.

Bargh Shiraz, The team that was not invented by Thomas Edison!

When Thomas Edison introduced the first electric lamp to the world in the year of 1879, little he knew that some years later, a group of youth working at a power plant company would come together and form a football team that still to date is competing at a professional level.

A group of young workers at Shiraz's power plant back in 1325 Shamsi gathered in the office of Nematolahi and decided then to form a soccer team. Later in the Ordibehesht of that month the team officially started off with Mr Bahador Ghahreman as their headcoach.

Obviously the team faced tremendous financial problems in the beginning. The very little money that they received from the company was cut off and the team stayed together only for the sacrifices of many and the close bonds amongst the players. After ten years of successful showings, this Shiraz team started losing ground and following a series of changes in the team made its day view in Iran's Takhte Jamshid League at the year of 1350.

Since 1350, Bargh Shiraz has been absent in Iranian championship for only 4 times due to relegation and falling into the second league Hassan Habibi and Mahmoud Yavari are some of the notable former coaches of Barghe Shiraz during the years.

Of notables playing for Barghe Shiraz one can mention Satare Zare, the Teame Melli player. At the first glance one can realize that the team is very young with no players of above 30 years age. Barghe Shiraz is being led this season by Zelanko Ivankovich the brother of our current Teame Melli's coach. Just like his brother Zelanko has been in hot waters recently, having to explain for his team's poor showing in this year's IPL. However his job is safe for now as Mr Salehi Bargh Shiraz's boss has assured him that he will remain on the job until the end of this season.

Bargh is currently ranked 13th in IPL with 21 points out of 20 matches played. Unfortunately this team has a very difficult remaining schedule and the fact that the might fall to the second league is a very real possiblity.

Bargh is ranked last in IPL for offense (13 goals scored in 20 games!) and 10th in defense! Their leading scorer for this IPL season is Abedi with a total of 4 goals scored in 20 matches! Indeed goal scoring has been a major issue for Bargh this season and their Croatian coach has done to little to relieve the problem.

Shiraz is indeed one of the large and most attractive cities in today's Iran and the failure of the Shirazi team to attract better strikers is unbelievable. One also to keep in mind that this Shirazi team is being sponsored by a power company ran by the government. This pretty much has hindered this and every other club from becomming true commercial entities.

The question remains. How can a new Shahid Ghandi team with severe financial troubles manage to aquire foreign strikers yet Barghe Shiraz with an old history in IPL struggle to recruit any better strikers?

Bargh Shiraz is one of the very oldest soccer teams in Iran's soccer history and the fact that they have constantly played at the professional level should be a credit to their management. However, by failing to achieve any real success throughout these years and their lacklusters in scoring goals, the Shirazi fans have found it easier to cheer on the Fajre Sepasi team with an average of two time more fans showing in their games at home

Barghe Shiraz is now simply over shadowed by the better performances of Fajre Sepasi Shiraz. Does Shiraz have the potential to successfully feed two IPL caliber teams? That question is yet to be answered.

Sina
Sina jaan I am so happy for you getting this job. I know this is what you want and you are doing a fantastic job. If you need some help with research just guide me and let me know what can I do for you. Please keep them comming because they are very educational and you put a funny twist to it which is what I like.