Irankicks Football Talk

Go Back   Irankicks Football Talk > Irankicks.com Rules Read before posting > In-Depth football discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Why our football will probably NEVER advance to the next level...

These days I see a lot of people talking about Team Melli going to the NEXT LEVEL.

This NEXT LEVEL means advancing our standard higher than Asia.
It means beating Bahrain, North Korea or Jordan is not good enough anymore.
We want to TRASH these teams and take the BIG STEP.

Whats the big step?

Playing on the same level as Mexico and Portugal in the World Cup and going to the next round!

This expectation expressed by the majority of iranians these days is why, in recent months, regardless of the score-line, Team Melli and Branko Ivankovic have been surrounded by negativity.

We are NOT playing on the same level as Mexico and Portugal.
We are playing the traditional iranian football.
The only difference is that, in recent years, under Branko, this traditional iranian football has CONSISTENTLY brought us RESULTS.

We no longer trash South Korea 6-2 today, just to be brought back down to earth by Palestine a week later.
We have WON when it mattered.

Other than that, we play the same old SLOW style of iranian football.

And, I can GUARANTEE you one thing:

This slow style of iranian football has been there ever since I started following Team Melli and it will remain with us for the years to come.

Why you ask?

Because our footballers lack PACE.
By pace, I don't mean running fast from one end of the field to another.
No!
This is not track and field, this is football.

By pace I mean the knowledge of playing ONE-TOUCH modern football.

This knowledge can be gained through two steps.

STEP 1

Football schools and youth programms

Its in these places where a player is SHAPED.

If you see Diesler being a true team player, if you are delighted by Totti's passing game or if you just love how Robben stars for Chelsea, its because these players were groomed the RIGHT WAY.

You can not expect our players to compete with these, or play on the same level as them.

Do we have football schools in Iran comparable to those in Germany, Holland, Italy or Portugal?

If not, then how do we even dare asking our players to play on the same level as starts of world football?

STEP 2

Getting used to playing with the big boys

And keep in mind: this step 2, on its own, is useless.
This second step can be taken ONLY when you have completed the first one.

But, what do I mean by getting used to playing with the big boys?

I mean taking our football further than the asian level, ON THE PITCH.
This requires abandoning friendlies against Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and South Korea and taking on Austria, Belgium, France, England, Brazil and Argentina.

You can adapt to the MODERN PACE OF FOOTBALL only if you practice the game against opponents who actually use it!

Japan did this!
Again, keep in mind that Japan did this while having players groomed in top youth schools with perefect conditions.

Right before World Cup 2002, they started playing teams from FIFA's top 10 list.
They suffered heavy defeats!
I still remember two 5-0 trashings against France and Czech Republic!
All this, just a few months before a World Cup they were about to host!

What did they do?
Did they fire their coach?
Did they start throwing dirt at players?
No!

They CONTINUED to play and lose, but with narrower margins, to world power-houses.

The result?

In 2002, they easily advanced to the 2nd round of World Cup and in the 2005 Confederations Cup they held a FULL STRENGTH Brazil side to a 2-2 draw!

Now, do you think in Iran such a thing is possible?

HELL NO!!!
We iranians simply DO NOT know how to lose and take lessons from defeats!

Its enough to look at many threads following Iran's meaningless 4-0 win against Taiwan to see what I mean.
People are asking for the removal of the coach after a 4-0 win!

Can you even imagine what would have happen if Iran would lose to Czech Republic 5-0 in a test-game?

Honestly, do you think anyone will analyze anything for even ONE SECOND?
Do you think Ivankovic or any other coach will stay in charge after such a result?

No!
These are the ILLNESSES of our society:

- We refuse to work hard and always want the easy way out.

- We keep ignoring problems in the root because fixing them requires working hard and we hate that.

- We keep trying to find fast solutions for the short-comings on the surface because its easier and we love this.

- We don't know how to learn the lessons in defeats.

Basically, our current football team is a Peykan.
In Germany this summer, we will participate in a footballing F1 race.

If you think our Peykan can finish ahead of Michael Schummacher's Ferrari, then be my guest

[b]MAKE MONEY while SURFING on IranKicks. REGISTER on the ABOVE LINK[/b]
Kaiser Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Sina
Banned

Re: Why our football will probably NEVER advance to the next level...

Kaiser Amir Jan

Although your points are valid I do believe that with the talents that Iran has, we can definitely play a better football than we did today.

It is true that the expectations are high and people do expect alot from a national team that is poorly funded and managed. However, when you watch a game like today's you begin to think why do we play like this? We have been like this for years as you said and IMO that has also to do with a certain coach's strategy.

You can not tell me that we do not have the ability to play any better than just sending crosses and hope for Daei to head them in? We showed very efftively that as a team we can pass the ball around and create marvelous scoring opportunities. Kaebi and Kazemian were two players who showed technique and strategy in this game and that made it all more interesting to watch.

We do have football schools and our youth do play much better opponents than our national team. However, our way of approaching the game and playing it at the TM level is not right and that is the thing which needs to be fixed. I do strongly believe that our players talents are not being utilized effectively and that we can do wonders with the squad that we already have.

There is no excuse for the bankrupt and old strategies of our national team's coach. We do have problems all over the place. He is also a problem. I can not say he is any more or less significant of a problem because his opinions and plans do greatly effect the way we play and the results that we will get in Germany.

Last edited by Sina : 02-22-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Sina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina
Kaiser Amir Jan

Although your points are valid I do believe that with the talents that Iran has, we can definitely play a better football than we did today.

However, when you watch a game like today's you begin to think why do we play like this?
Sina Jan,

You are commiting the SAME MISTAKE many people do and about which I wrote in this thread.

You are focusing on TODAY!

You are closing your eyes on the BIG PICTURE and choose to point at the problems on the surface.

You prove this by mentioning the crappy game versus Chinese Taipe and how we could have played better over and over again.

Can't you see that the match against Chinese Taipe is simply NON-IMPORTANT when we are talking about PROBLEMS IN THE ROOT?

Who gives a damn about Chinese Taipe when we DO NOT have football schools and proper pitches and proper coaches for our youth sides or league teams?

Sure! We can play better than this against Chinese Taipe, but with current footballing set-up in Iran we can NEVER play GOOD ENOUGH to play on the same level as Portugal and/or Mexico.

So, take a pick:

A- You are concerned why we didn't score 8 goals instead of 4 versus Taipe?

OR

B- You are concerned that we have basic problems in our football which prevent us from playing world class?

Quote:

I do strongly believe that our players talents are not being utilized effectively and that we can do wonders with the squad that we already have.
What TALENTS Sina Jan?

This term is very RELATIVE.
Can you measure TALENT?
Can you prove that you are more TALENTED than me for example?

NO!
And because this term is so vague we keep FOOLING ourselves with it!

You consider our players TALENTED by which standards?
Asian or international?

Sure! When you compare Karimi with Abullah Kouni from Qatar, you can claim that our own Karimi is VERY TALENTED.

But

Can you claim the same thing when you put:

Karimi Vs Cristiano Ronaldo

Mobali Vs Lionel Messi

Borhani Vs Jared Borgetti

Nekounam Vs Ronaldinho

Mahdavikia Vs Figo

Quote:

There is no excuse for the bankrupt and old strategies of our national team's coach. We do have problems all over the place. He is also a problem.
Good thing that you RECOGNIZE that we do have problems all over the place.

I give you this: Branko is NOT perfect and is part of this FIELD OF PROBLEMS!

BUT

For gods sake, for once, lets solve some OTHER PROBLEMS in this BIG FIELD first and then decapitate the coach!!!

For years, we have been CHANGING COACHES, while all OTHER PROBLEMS have been left unattended!
Thats why they have GROWN and are getting BIGGER AND BIGGER...

Firing a coach is simple.
It take half a day at most.
Building a proper football school and hiring proper trainers for our youth and league teams takes a bit longer than that

Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
fakhfour
IK Goal Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Amir
Amir jaan
I agree with many of your points, and you already know those that I don't accept. So letís have a newer discussion:
Is there, in your "Step-System" a difference between a National Team Coach and a Club Coach? What are their tasks?

IMHO, if we have a youth program and a professional league, we also need to understand the difference between these two kinds of coaches.
Unfortunately, even if we want to bring the knowledge by hiring famous coaches, we try to take famous national coaches for our clubs (or vice versa). Is that a good idea?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Kaiser Amir
Hall of famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakhfour

IMHO, if we have a youth program and a professional league, we also need to understand the difference between these two kinds of coaches.
Unfortunatly fakhour Jan,

We neither have a proper youth program nor a professional coach.

What we have and A LOT of it as well is: EDEA in Farsi or EXPECTATIONS in English.

We think we are smarter than those stupid japanese, koreans, portugese, dutch or germans who POUR MONEY into their football.

We don't do this and we want the VERY SAME RESULTS (if not better!) they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakhfour
Unfortunately, even if we want to bring the knowledge by hiring famous coaches, we try to take famous national coaches for our clubs (or vice versa). Is that a good idea?
fakhour Jan,

A good coach is a good coach even if he has made his name in a club.

If he has reached the top by steering Manchester United to major trophies it doesn't mean that he can't do the same by coaching England.

Quality will show itself at ANY LEVEL.
And quality coaches are what we LACK in Iran.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
romario187
IK Midfield

Kaiser, IMHO Never is too strong a word. While Iran may lack the top of the line facility or coaching, as far as raw talent, and yes it is measurable, we are not too far behind! Just compare Karimi who's not had any real training as you put it with 80% of midfielders in Europe!

In your example, you compared World Class players with our stars, For every Figo and C. Ronaldo there are 100s who don't even compare to our stars! I don't believe the Iranian community thinks we have world class players.

Iran's infrastructure may have problems, however, it is getting better. Street football is no longer where we're getting our young stars. Most of them are in some sort of an organized club/school system to develop their skills! I see too many Iranians commenting on an Iran they haven't seen in decades. Don't believe everything you read and hear!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
dashali
Hall of famer

Icon4 Re: Why our football will probably NEVER advance to the next level...

Amir jan...
few notes for you to know....

1. We have several SOCCER SCHOOLS in TEHRAN, at least I know about them but in other cities I do not know. These schools are run by very good and talented coaches, all of them hold coaching licenses. The biggest school belong to Mr.Faramarz Zeli....as you know, he was the first coach in Iran to get the "A" coaching license....he is doing a wonderfull job....and I saw few of those youth he works with....one of them is my friend's son and many people call him as a future ZIDAn
Other schools are run by ABDOLALI CHANGHIEZ, REZA RAJABI, JAVAD ALLAHVERDI and few more that I cannot recall....old age
they also play in a leage and I have seen many coaches go there and watch them, for example Amir Ghalenoie was watching one game that was between SS youth and another team....so, we do have schools....
the only problem is....not many people can afford to go there or even get a ride there,,,,,many of these kids are coming from a wealthy or at least middle class....

2. Beleive it or not, we do have a lot of coaches now with coaching degrees and quAlified to coach youth and older kids...
again, I am atlking about TEHRAN....
they do have enough facilities for these kids....enough field for them for training...

3. They do have a leage....they play year around, indoor and outdoor...they do get a lot of training...

Now, the problem and why our football does not get ahead of other ASIAN teams....

We do not have an organized school programs...here in the USA, we have Junior high and high school programs, we have travel soccer and we have club teams..... some of these clubs are running by great coaches,,,,few Iranians to be named...HASAN NAZARI, KAMAL KHALIELIEYAN, HOMER BOZORG and few more....
High school programs are the one that can help a lot....that age is the right age to see good athlete and choose them and train them in the higher level...

after revolution we had the school soccer rpograms for few years, MR AZIZ ASLI was in charge of it,,,,,but later on it was canceled...
when you do not focus on sport, then those great athlete will become new drug ADDICT in our society....and we all know who loves to see our youth to be addicted to drugs
focusing on sport will damage drug dealers in Iran....and again, we know who do not want to loose that money

Amir jan....with a 4 year plan, our sports, or at least I know, soccer, can change a lot....and beating even Brazil can be achieved....it takes only 4 year plan....but this plan is not easy plan...
running a school soccer program is not an easy thing to do,,,,again using TEHRAN as an example....not every school can have a soccer field... here in USA every school has one .... I know ALBORZ and REZA SHAH KABIER sabegh, are the only 2 schools with field....sorry I forgot about KEYHAN NO..

but I also know that we do have enough fields to make it possible, all it takes is....few hundred dollars to fix them....but IFF won't
the money we got from FIFA when we made it to WC 2006....what happened to it?
Dadkan and his fellow friends...bala keshiedan raftttttttttttttt ye lievan ab ham roooooooosh....
that money could have brought lights in our stadiums....and fixing fields like AMJADIEH...or shieroodie....
by fixing SHIEROODIE (amjadieh) many games could be played there, instead of AZADI...and trust me....it could bring a lot of people to the stadium...
a field right in the middle of tehran, in the afternoon,,,,a lot of BIEKAR could go there and watch games ....

in conclusion.....our soccer could go above Europe....all it takes is...
a man to be in charge.....not a thief

Iranetehhhhhhhhhh
dashali is offline   Reply With Quote