View Single Post
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Sina
Banned

Re: "Discussing Mexico with Afshin Ghotbi", by Kaveh Mahjoub

Thanks to Mr Ghotbi for his great analysis, and Kaveh for the interview.

It was interesting that he pointed out the fact that the South Korean team had more ball posession in the midfield by overpowering the Korean midfielders.

This is the formation that the Mexican team used successfully in last year's confederation cup.

The key to counter this formation is to neturalize the Wing Backs which are detrimental to the success of the 5-3-2 formation. On right we have Mahdavikia and Kaebi who on a good day can accomplish this. To our left we need someone behind Zandi. (Someone other than Nosrati and Zare I hope). Otherwise we are souped.

Also the fact that our offense has to constantly keep the pressure on the Mexico defenders at their own half is something that we might want to work on too. With Ali Daei up in front, I am not sure if he could run that much and really put some heat on the defenders. All we need is an opportunity or a mistake made by them. I believe Arash Borhani is a perfect fit for this match. He is both quick and can put some pressure on Mexico on counter attacks.

Last and not least, USA also had problems in the left back position against Mexico. Houman Afazeli might want to look into what they did to elevate this problem. At the end of the day Mexico is beatable if we do things correctly...

(Thanks Fakhfour for the post)
Sina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links