PDA

View Full Version : We don't have to beat South Korea

perosee726
06-06-2009, 06:51 PM
The good news is that we don't even have to beat South Korea. Getting 3 points from UAE and 1 point(like 0-0 tie) would still put iran in the play off against bahrain Assuming Saudi beating North korea the last day which i think is very realistic. After all Saudi is playing at home. In other words, we are not really in the worst scenario right now. That 1 point again north korea was really precious.

Ardavan
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
you sure about that? don't we need to win UAE by a goal of 2 or more? then a tie or win would work against S.Korea.

yekta
06-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Since DPR has one and KSA two game left ,there are 9 possible scenarios.(Iran MUST get 4 or 6 points or there is no chance.)

Out of the 9 endings,
Under 1 possibility Iran is out even with 6 points (DPK Win + KSA win).

Under 4 possibility,Iran can finish 3rd even with 4 points .
1 possibility is (DPK Win KSA Loss (to SK) ) + all 3 possibilities if DPK losses to KSA.

There are 2 possibilities where Iran can finish 3rd only with 6 points.
(PDK Win + KSA Tie) + (DPK Tie + KSA Win)

There are 2 possibilities where Iran can actually finish 2nd,
(DPK Tie + KSA Loss) + (DPK Tie + KSA Tie)

Few interesting points,
1-If the final match is tied between KSA and DPK,under no possibility can Iran finish better than 4th (with 4 points) but can actually qualify 2nd (with 6 points) in 2 out of 3 possibilities!

2-No matter what KSA does against SK,KSA will need to beat or tie DPK in the final match to finish 2nd.

3-Iran will be out If KSA beats SK and losses to DPK even if Iran get 6 points!

-----------------------------------------/Win-->Iran Out with any points!
----------------------------------------/
---------------------------------------/
-----------/WIN (DPK Q 2nd)-->KSA--Tie--->Iran 3rd with 6 points.
----------/---------------------------\
---------/-----------------------------\
--------/-------------------------------\Loss-->Iran 3rd with 4-6 points.
-------/
------/--------------------/KSA win -->Iran 3rd with 6 points.
-----/--------------------/
----/--------------------/
DPK----->TIE------->KSA Tie---------->Iran 2nd with 6 points.
----\--------------------\
-----\--------------------\
------\--------------------\KSA loss-->Iran 2nd with 6 points.
-------\
--------\
---------LOSS ------------->ALL possibilities (KSA Q 2nd)---> Iran will finish 3rd with 4-6 points after KSA!

highflyerreborn
06-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I think iran does not deserves to go thur at this stage - the class is missing - only the DF/GK are world standard

The MF is just not dominant enough to control game , and FWs don't have ability to make goals from nothing

Perhaps a reboot is needed to soccer program and sometimes a shock is needed to motivate generation

Botton line is

Speed wise iran is slow
off ball running is very slow and disappear as game moves to second half
The cardio levels are very low

You can't win at world stage like this

If , beating UAE (Who lost to germany 7-2) by 1 goal gets us to world cup you can imagine what a world class team like Germany or Argentina would do to the national team on world stage -

Unless the wins are convincing and with CLASS there is not point to win by 1 goal against UAE

sdi5693
06-06-2009, 11:12 PM
hello, I'm a football fan living in Seoul and captivated by Iran national team since 1972. I'm very sorry to tell this...that present Iran national team(Team melli) is the most insufficient squad ever, so that they could neither overcome nor draw with south korea team.

the reason Iran's omission is missing the virtue of iran team, for instance body strength and endurance and creativity on the pitch and most of all..combative spirit!

why? why on earth Iran football is so weakened? I can't explain at all..but just one thing that most of south korean football fan wishes their side lead by Huh Jungmoo & Park Jisung will dominate the game against Iran in Seoul 2009.6.17...thereby the defeat in 1996 6-2 is payed back in Sangam stadium.

Iran's most valuable player Javad Nekounam speaked: hey koreans, welcome to hell!!! when the Red warrior from Seoul got ready in Tehran 2009.2.11..

And we koreans living in Seoul and the big city like InCheon Suwon Sungnam(they're in one hour's distance from Sangam football stadium) now roar...welcome taem melli, a victim for the accompany advancing worldcup 2010 both south and north Korea...No more 6-2...we await so long this chance.

Foosball_Champ
06-07-2009, 01:00 AM
hello, I'm a football fan living in Seoul and captivated by Iran national team since 1972. I'm very sorry to tell this...that present Iran national team(Team melli) is the most insufficient squad ever, so that they could neither overcome nor draw with south korea team.

the reason Iran's omission is missing the virtue of iran team, for instance body strength and endurance and creativity on the pitch and most of all..combative spirit!

why? why on earth Iran football is so weakened? I can't explain at all..but just one thing that most of south korean football fan wishes their side lead by Huh Jungmoo & Park Jisung will dominate the game against Iran in Seoul 2009.6.17...thereby the defeat in 1996 6-2 is payed back in Sangam stadium.

Iran's most valuable player Javad Nekounam speaked: hey koreans, welcome to hell!!! when the Red warrior from Seoul got ready in Tehran 2009.2.11..

And we koreans living in Seoul and the big city like InCheon Suwon Sungnam(they're in one hour's distance from Sangam football stadium) now roar...welcome taem melli, a victim for the accompany advancing worldcup 2010 both south and north Korea...No more 6-2...we await so long this chance.

Dear sdi5693:

Good observation. I think one of the big reason for our lack of body strength and endurance and creativity on the pitch and most of all..combative spirit is that we are dealing with bunch of idiots (IFF) who don't know anything about "Sports and Physical Education", specially "The game of Soccer". All they care about is "How to read Quran and win the world cup of Quran reading competion". Our "Stars" are old and lazy, they care more about the kind of "Gel" to use on their hair rather than working out and excersising. Also there is no program for our youngsters to bloom and finally there is no "Support and Encouragement" when they do win a game here and there.

Your county sponcers teams, they spend money in planning for next 2, 5 and 10 years, the community is behind the organization and the organization is behind the team. In our case, the country plans for today and only today. Not tomorrow, not 2 or 4 years from now. We only think "How are we going to qualify TODAY?" and then we fire the coach and bring a new one, thinking that will solve the problem. And then it is the fan, which I call them "Victim of Love, their love for soccer", as a fan we sit around look at possibilities, we discuss what went wrong and we cherrish the old times when "Iran won a game". Our only hope is if XX loses and YY ties then we will qualify, Shame on us thinking that this team should be represented as one of the 32 best teams to compete in the World Cup. I hope to god we don't qualify because having this team represent Iran is embarassing to Soccer World.

Soccer is a TEAM sport, it requires the support of each player including but not excluding the coach, the team's Doctor, phycial theropist, the fan, the media and and and....it is not only about Ali Karimi, or Shojaai, but we think having these players is gppd enough for us to qualify. As you watched the game you also noticed that non of our 9 "Stars" shined, they were lazy, they had no committment and finally they were simply "BAD".

I think until we dig into the root and start planning new seets, the old ones are going to produce the same "Old rutine apples" no matter how we water them.

Now you know why?

Sayyid
06-07-2009, 01:50 AM
As you guys mentioned above, the worse scenario would be SA beating South Korea...which sadly is a very possible scenario since they are going to be without 4-5 of their good players and saudi's are well rested:(...but if I was a betting man, I'll bet on Iran qualifying to atleast the playoffs!! It's amazing that as bad as we are, we still have a chance to qualify to this big stage with 2 the two games remaining!:afc2:

Ardavan
06-07-2009, 01:54 AM
why? why on earth Iran football is so weakened? I can't explain at all..but just one thing that most of south korean football fan wishes their side lead by Huh Jungmoo & Park Jisung will dominate the game against Iran in Seoul 2009.6.17.

you sure they are going to play them? since S.Korea has qualified would they risk playing J.S Park or others with the same capabilities, specially for the last game?

Sayyid
06-07-2009, 01:58 AM

I already hate this guy:D...just kidding!!
With all due respect as bad as we are this year, so are the koreans! The best match South Korea has played so far was against UAE! And that says alot about your status as asias big boys! I think with a bit of luck Iran can beat South Korea in Korea:irani:

yekta
06-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Couple more points to consider,

SKorea players & coach have openly expressed a great desire to see NKorea going through to the WC.
With IRN & DPK match ending in a 0-0,it means KSA holds their own destiny.It also means they don't need the game in Skorea!
In fact even if they win in SKorea and lose to DPK they'll still finish 3rd but if they beat DPK in Riyadh,they finish 2nd regardless of their game vs SKorea.

The only way SKorea can guarantee at least a 3rd spot for NKorea is by beating Iran and Iran only.They know beating KSA helps NKorea very Little considering NKorea still needs to come back from KSA with 1 or 3 points!

If I'm not mistaken Iran - SKorea match is played few hours before KSA-SKorea match so there is no chance of SKorea taking it easy on us after they watch NKorea beat KSA and qualify (in Which case SKorea would only be doing KSA a favor by beating Iran).

Yes over all it's very bleak.Getting a point from SKorea would be daunting task but if we accomplished that,we'd then be praying for "KSA to beat DPK" or "DPK beating KSA (only if KSA had lost to SKorea earlier)" and most importantly pray that the game doesn't end in a TIE or we're out regardless!

Wow,who know we'd need so many if's and but's just to finish 3rd in our group??

yekta
06-07-2009, 02:25 AM
As you guys mentioned above, the worse scenario would be SA beating South Korea...which sadly is a very possible scenario since they are going to be without 4-5 of their good players and saudi's are well rested

Don't forget the worst scenario is KSA beating SK in Korea and then losing to DPK at home.It's possible but it would mean that KSA will finish 3rd that I doubt they'll be happy with it.KSA will be doing everything not to lose.

My nightmare is when both KSA and DPK know the result of Iran-SKorea game (a tie) and playing to a draw!
A game in which losing means elimination but a tie keeps both alive is a game in which no team would risk much and most likely ends in a draw anyway.
I'm afraid that's what's going to happen even if we get 4 points (big if)

perosee726
06-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Ardavan Jan,
If North Korea lose with a difference of 2 goals to KSA, then just a win over UAE(like 1-0) and (0-0 against s.korea) is enough for Iran to go to play off...

Sayyid
06-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Wow,who know we'd need so many if's and but's just to finish 3rd in our group??

This is all because of 2 late goals to the Saudi's, these guys have always been our night mare...but yet they go to world cup every four year and return home with awful results(except in 94)!! A draw at home against Saudi of Arabia would have made all the difference. I think what we had lacking in that game was consistent defense, something Ghotbi has certainly improved based on these latest matches.

yekta
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Goal Difference seems to be the first criteria

yekta
06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
This is all because of 2 late goals to the Saudi's, these guys have always been our night mare...but yet they go to world cup every four year and return home with awful results(except in 94)!! A draw at home against Saudi of Arabia would have made all the difference. I think what we had lacking in that game was consistent defense, something Ghotbi has certainly improved based on these latest matches.

I think the fact that we've managed to win just 1 game has something to do with the present situation.
But I don't think any Asian teams is going to set the WC on fire though.

yekta
06-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ardavan Jan,
If North Korea lose with a difference of 2 goals to KSA, then just a win over UAE(like 1-0) and (0-0 against s.korea) is enough for Iran to go to play off...

Not excatly!
NDP is +2,any loss will take them to +1 or less.
Iran is 0,if they get 4 points it means they'll have to be +1 or better.
If the goal difference is the same then it would be the number of goals.
Iran has scored 6 and DPK 7 ,again If Iran gets 4 points it must improve to 7 goals or more.
So if DPK losses 1-0 to KSA,both will have the same goal difference and scored (+1 and 7 scored with Iran 1-0 win over UAE and a 0-0 tie with SKorea).
In that case it will be head to head points and Iran has the edge.

But what if DPK losses 1-2 or 2-3?
In that case we are in big trouble.So yes if DPK losses 1-0 ,it is enough for Iran but if DPK scores any goal,KSA must win by 2.

amistatd
06-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Highfly,

I don't mean to be rude, but I think it's cynical, not to mention myopic, to
suggest that we should abandon South Africa 2010 simply because we have
a weak team, and we should instead begin to focus on rebuilding for the
future. First, qualifying for the world cup is a very important step in the
development of any nation's soccer. Therefore, it is absolutely essential that
Iran qualify, because that kind of exposure will take the sport to the next
level and create opportunities for some of its players to compete at elite
tournaments. (Had Iran not qualified in 2006, today we would have had to
do without the expertise of top-notch players like Shojaie, Nekounam and
Teymourian, to name a few.)

Next, because of poor planning and the absence of fundementals, in addition
to suffocating and stultifying role of idealogy, our teams have tended to
qualify every other world cup. And if you look back, you will see that it's
been the case since early 1990s, when Iran's football began to slowly gain
strength. And the fact that the teams have even managed to make it to
that level of competition every 8 years is a testament to the superior
talent level, as well as the zeal and passion demonstrated by millions of
devoted and loyal fans in Iran.

Having said all that, I think this could be a possible senario this month:

South Korea will tie Saudi Arabia (15 points; will qualify)

Saudi Arabia will beat North Korea but will manage a tie against South Korea.
(14 points; will qualify)

Iran will beat UAE but will magage a tie against a second-rate South Korean
team that has no reason to play hard (11 points)

All of this will leave Iran at the mercy of chance-but not entirely, since they
have to completely overpower UAE and steal that third spot. Of course, the
ideal situation would be their winning both upcoming matches, but under the
circumstances, that might be a tall order.

Good Luck to All

bezashah
06-07-2009, 11:12 PM
isn't the first tie breaker the number of wins !? then goal differentials ?

because if iran wins 1 and draws 1 we'll end up w/ 8-2-5-1 good for 11pts

while North Korea (given that they lose against ksa) would end up w/ 8-3-2-3 good for 11 pts

regardless of goal differential, NK has 3 wins...wouldnt they advance ?

amistatd
06-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I suppose you're right, which makes Iran's task even more insurmountable. By the way, Time has already reported that North Korea has eliminated Iran from the world cup, which is not true. I don't know what that should be attributed to, absence of professionalism or naivte-unless they know something we don't.

Toofan
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
no chance in hell irans gonna beat south korea. wont happen.

unless somehow Ghotbi manages to produce some amazing result against uae in tehran. like a 4-5 goal difference win.

then there might be a chance.

yekta
06-08-2009, 01:47 AM
isn't the first tie breaker the number of wins !? then goal differentials ?

because if iran wins 1 and draws 1 we'll end up w/ 8-2-5-1 good for 11pts

while North Korea (given that they lose against ksa) would end up w/ 8-3-2-3 good for 11 pts

regardless of goal differential, NK has 3 wins...wouldnt they advance ?

No it's,
1. goal difference in all group matches (self explanatory)
2. greater number of goals scored in all group matches (Total goals scored)
3. greater number of points obtained in matches between the tied teams(head to head points)
4. goal difference in matches between the tied teams (I beat you 3-0 but you beat me 1-0,I have the edge)
5. greater number of goals scored in matches between the tied teams(I don't get this one,how can the goal difference be zero and this one be different?)
6. drawing of lots, or a play-off (if approved by FIFA)

Ahmad18s
06-08-2009, 02:32 AM
South Korea- 14
North Korea- 11
KSA- 10
Iran- 7

If KSA beats South Korea and North Korea beat KSA, it's impossible to get the third spot for the play-offs and with just win one and tie one. The only two non-TM games left are:

KSA-South Korea & KSA-North Korea

Qualification Standards for Third Place:

Win one, tie one
-KSA must lose BOTH their games.
-North Korea loses final game and Iran makes up goal differential (behind by 2 goals; 6-6 to 7-5).
-KSA loses one game and ties one game, and Iran wins goal differential (both teams even; 6-6 to 8-8).

Win one, LOSE one
-KSA must lose both games and we must beat them in goal differential

Win both games
-Iran will be guaranteed third place if they win their last two games.

*Lets just hope that TM wins both games rather than have to go through all the BS complications.

Here's what I posted in the other thread.

Oftadeh
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM

But doesn't your team want to pay back Afshin Qotbi for all he has done for South Korea by losing to him? A 0-1 score will do nicely, many thanks! :D

HoomanYZ
06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
5. greater number of goals scored in matches between the tied teams(I don't get this one,how can the goal difference be zero and this one be different?)

That's if there is tie between more than two teams. For example, if Iran, North Korea and KSA all end up with 13 points. By the way, I didn't find this in FIFA website or AFC website, could you send the link to your source please? Thanks.

Oftadeh
06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
No it's,

I scored 10 but let in 10 goals. You scored 7 and but let in 7 goals. I win. Well, that's my interpretation anyway. Between the tied teams may not necessarily mean for matches facing each other only...i.e., between the two of you, how many goals did you score? 17. Who scored most? Me!

KABABEE
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
If this team deserves to go to the WC, we should be able to beat UAE and SK. Specially when chances are that SK has already qualified when we get them and we are going to be playing their B team at best.

I can't believe so many people are looking at getting in with the skin of their teeth.

We have great players all over the world playing against some of the best players in the world, and have many great players at home. You are telling me, we can't win 2 games with our backs against the wall?????? Give me a break.

As far as I am concern, we MUST win both games or I rather stay home.

yekta
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I scored 10 but let in 10 goals. You scored 7 and but let in 7 goals. I win. Well, that's my interpretation anyway. Between the tied teams may not necessarily mean for matches facing each other only...i.e., between the two of you, how many goals did you score? 17. Who scored most? Me!

Yes but we already had that in number 2,(I scored 10 but let in 10 goals. You scored 7 and but let in 7 goals. I win) is already covered in number 2.
Remember it says "matches BETWEEN tied teams".
Could it mean highest scored goals in ONE match(Like I beat you 10-5,you beat me 5-0,goal difference and points are the same but I managed to score more in ONE match) I don't know really,it makes no sense,how can points and goal difference be the same between two tied teams but one score more goals :confused::confused:

yekta
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Win both games
-Iran will be guaranteed third place if they win their last two games.

Since we are talking about probabilities I think it's possible for Iran to win both games and still finish 4th!
Here how it goes;

Iran wins both games 1-0,KSA beets SKorea 3-0 and loses to DPK 1-0.
In this scenario Iran finishes 4th behind KSA.Everything is tied but KSA scores more goals(11 goals to 8).
I know it's unlikely but it means that we don't fully determin our own destiny.KSA and DPK do.

HoomanYZ
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Yes but we already had that in number 2,(I scored 10 but let in 10 goals. You scored 7 and but let in 7 goals. I win) is already covered in number 2.
Could it mean highest scored goals in ONE match(Like I beat you 10-5,you beat me 5-0,goal difference and points are the same but I managed to score more in ONE match) I don't know really,it makes no sense,how can points and goal difference be the same between two tied teams but one score more goals :confused::confused:

I already answered your question: Here is a scenario:

Teams A, B and C have the same number of points and goal difference, but: Team A beat team B 2-1. Team B beat team C 1-0. and team C beat team A 3-2. Team A GF/GA is 4-4 in the games between tied teams. Team B GF/GA is 2-2 in the games between tied teams. Team C GF/GA is 3-3 in the games between tied teams. Team A will come on top.

yekta
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I already answered your question: Here is a scenario:

Teams A, B and C have the same number of points and goal difference, but: Team A beat team B 2-1. Team B beat team C 1-0. and team C beat team A 3-2. Team A GF/GA is 4-4 in the games between tied teams. Team B GF/GA is 2-2 in the games between tied teams. Team C GF/GA is 3-3 in the games between tied teams. Team A will come on top.

I'm not talking about WC group stage where teams play each other only once.I'm talking about qualification round, where teams play home and away.
But your response gave me an idea.
When 3 teams are tied in points,over all goal difference(1) ,over all goals scored(2),head to head points(3) and head to head goal difference(4) we can get into a situation where A and B tied each other 2-2 overall (A won 2-0 then B won 2-0),B and C tied overall 1-1 and finally C and A tied 3-3.
In this situation A has scored 5,B scored 3 and C scored 4.
So the standing would be A,C and B.

Rule #5 works in this particular situation but if we're talking about 2 teams only, if #4 is 0 then #5 would be the same everytime.

highflyerreborn
06-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Highfly,

Good Luck to All

Passionate - no doubt ...
But lets see what unfolds on field -

Right now its like skywalker vs Deathstar ....the task is twice has hard statistically then it was vs Australia

Ahmad18s
06-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Since we are talking about probabilities I think it's possible for Iran to win both games and still finish 4th!
Here how it goes;

Iran wins both games 1-0,KSA beets SKorea 3-0 and loses to DPK 1-0.
In this scenario Iran finishes 4th behind KSA.Everything is tied but KSA scores more goals(11 goals to 8).
I know it's unlikely but it means that we don't fully determin our own destiny.KSA and DPK do.

Oh, well you are right with that probability. I didn't figure at all KSA winning big against South Korea and actually losing to DPK. Iran better hit the back of the net at least 3 times against UAE tomorrow.

Fahd
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM

Away goals are worth double in number 4. If we draw 2-2 away and draw 0-0 at home against the team we are worth 4 goals and they are worth 2.

So basically like in 1997 when we went through against Australia in the playoff but the rule applied to the pool stage to pick the superior team.

Its the aggregate rule in other words.

Fahd
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Highfly,

Good Luck to All

Ive posted this before and until fans can understand what happened in Australia and how they have risen to where they are today this sort of mentality will continue to to force our football further and further down.

Read it and the total report (link near the bottom) and then tell me with an honest face that football will change for the better in Iran staying the way it is. It needs a total and complete makeover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Report_of_the_Independent_Soccer_Review_Commi ttee

Foosball_Champ
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Ive posted this before and until fans can understand what happened in Australia and how they have risen to where they are today this sort of mentality will continue to to force our football further and further down.

Read it and the total report (link near the bottom) and then tell me with an honest face that football will change for the better in Iran staying the way it is. It needs a total and complete makeover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Report_of_the_Independent_Soccer_Review_Commi ttee

Fahd nice article. Do you have a copy of the "Crawford Report"? I would have loved to see How they accomplished their goals, what steps did they take, their corrective actions and perhaps their future plans. Japan had a similar turn over but the Minsister of the sports only concentrated on J-League first and the effect was that their national team became stronger. God I wish IFF would learn from these countries.

Fahd
06-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Fahd nice article. Do you have a copy of the "Crawford Report"? I would have loved to see How they accomplished their goals, what steps did they take, their corrective actions and perhaps their future plans. Japan had a similar turn over but the Minsister of the sports only concentrated on J-League first and the effect was that their national team became stronger. God I wish IFF would learn from these countries.

The link is at the bottom of the wiki article just click it and the report is there etc.

ETA- here's the linky

http://fulltext.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/2003/soccerinquiry/content.asp