PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United vs. Arsenal (EPL)

footballdxb
05-16-2009, 01:09 AM
from goal.com:

Alex Ferguson Acknowledges Arsenal Threat To Manchester United

The Red Devils boss knows that the Gunners can still make life difficult at Old Trafford tomorrow, and reflects with satisfaction on his tally of league titles...
15 May 2009 16:40:21

Sir Alex Ferguson is happy following the win over Manchester City as his United side move closer towards the title

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is on the verge of claiming yet another league title, should his men take the point they need from tomorrow's home game with fourth placed Arsenal, but is taking nothing for granted against Arsene Wenger's men, whom he believes will still pose a significant challenge.

"Arsenal are a threat," the Scotsman told The Manchester Evening News.

"They are a good side with great potential which you cannot dismiss. Without question they will attack us. They will not change the way they play.

"We expected two good games in the semi-final and we got them and that is the way it will be tomorrow. They have had a bit of criticism recently and they will want to register their abilities on a day when everyone expects Manchester United to win the title."

Should United win the title tomorrow, then it would be their 18th English league crown, a total that matches great rivals Liverpool's total. The Anfield men have, of course, been waiting 19 years since their last championship, a period of time in which United have accumulated 11 further titles of their own.

Ferguson acknowledges that it was the Arsenal side of the George Graham era that helped him to successfully challenge Merseyside domination of the English game.

"I never even thought about moving level with Liverpool," said Ferguson.

"My first intention was to win one and break the stranglehold Liverpool had on the title. You don't think about how it would open the door in terms of what we see now. The big challenge was that first one.

"We were a long way behind in terms of titles won. But we were helped by Arsenal winning it a couple of times. That changed the picture a little bit."

Strangely, United claiming the crown in front of their own fans has been something of a rarity in recent years, not that Ferguson has ever minded where the title is finally clinched.

"I have always said I don't care where we win it," he added.

"It is unusual and strange that we have won it four times elsewhere but only done it once out of 10 at Old Trafford.

"Now we have another opportunity to win it in front of our own fans tomorrow. It would be nice to do it."

Unquoted: Frankly saying, this year, I think Manchester United is playing another level of football than Arsenal and Sir Alex would not have any problem in securing their EPL trophy today against Arsenal. Being more like an Arsenal fan, I highly respect his down to earth attitude and professionalism. That is going to be a great game today. I hope Arsenal will demonstrate some good football ... and especially look forward to seeing Arshevin playing :beer:

Foosball_Champ
05-16-2009, 02:57 PM
MAN UNITED the CHAMPS. Congradulation to the team and the fans.

next the champion game and beat Barcelona. GOOOOOOOOO UNITED.