PDA

View Full Version : Can IFF (Iranian Football Federatio) learn from IFF (India Football Federation)?

Foosball_Champ
03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
India targets elite players for Asian Cup scheme
Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=626067&sec=global&cc=5901

The Indian soccer federation hopes to launch an ambitious two-year plan that will commit the country's leading players to preparations for the 2011 Asian Cup.

Under the proposed 'Goal 2011' scheme, national coach Bob Houghton will name 25 players, who will receive financial backing from the federation and be asked not to play for their clubs over the next two seasons, The Telegraph reported on Monday.

The paper added that the plan was likely to cost around 400 million rupees ($7.7 million) and has already been approved by the All India Football Federation's (AIFF) executive committee.

The final touches to the scheme will be made by the development committee, which meets on Thursday.

"This is one of AIFF's most ambitious plans ever and is likely to cause an uproar among the clubs, local associations and the sponsors," unnamed sources told the newspaper.

"At the same time, the financial commitment to make the plan successful is really huge. We are not yet sure where the money will come from."

The national team has shown improved results over the last two years under British coach Houghton and secured an Asian Cup berth after clinching the AFC Challenge Cup last August.

Houghton had told the AIFF that the selected players needed to be given extensive and uninterrupted training until the Doha event, the paper said.

India, twice Asian Games champions in the 1950s, were a force in continental competitions until the end of the amateur era, but a lack of interest and the rise of cricket has seen the side slip to number 148 in the latest world rankings.

Last month, the country's sports minister took a swipe at the team, saying schoolboys and veterans of the 1956 Olympic side could beat the current crop of internationals.

($1 = 51.7 rupees)

Sherwin
03-09-2009, 02:46 PM
No disrespect to the Indian Football Federation or the Indian national soccer team, but when has India ever accomplished anythin in soccer? The thing is they have 1.1 billion people and their population is growing faster than China! Out of 1.1 billion people they can't find eleven guys who know how to play soccer? Can't they just pull a Qatar and just buy players from Africa or South Americaif they suck that bad? :rotflmao:

I should really stop making fun of them because the problem with India is that they really don't have much $$$$$. By the way I didn't even know India was good back in the 50's hey at least that's something right?

damavand
03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
that's the stupidest move I have ever heard. players don't play for any club for TWO years? how are they going to compete and prepare when they are not involve in any club competition. Give me break. I know our state of football is in the toilet, but we do not need to model ourselves after the indians. they will never ever mount to any thing.
If anything, we should learn how the Europeans or even the americans run their sports business. we possibly could set up a system like the MLS league.

Sherwin
03-09-2009, 04:55 PM
that's the stupidest move I have ever heard. players don't play for any club for TWO years? how are they going to compete and prepare when they are not involve in any club competition. Give me break. I know our state of football is in the toilet, but we do not need to model ourselves after the indians. they will never ever mount to any thing.
If anything, we should learn how the Europeans or even the americans run their sports business. we possibly could set up a system like the MLS league.

Even in our own IPL we probably have the same level of talent as the MLS, but as you said even MLS teams know how to run the business. They understand that the MLS as a whole is one league but each team is it's own entity or corporation if you will. That is how it is with other professional leagues like the National Football league, National Basketball Associacion, and Major League Baseball. Even the NHL is set up in the same way but you have more of an Eastern European/Canadian international flavor with NFL.

What I'm I'm trying to say is if the IPL can run like the MLS and each team can =actually have a corporate model, we could greatly improve our revenue, facilities, and even our players. :up::up:

damavand
03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Even in our own IPL we probably have the same level of talent as the MLS, but as you said even MLS teams know how to run the business. They understand that the MLS as a whole is one league but each team is it's own entity or corporation if you will. That is how it is with other professional leagues like the National Football league, National Basketball Associacion, and Major League Baseball. Even the NHL is set up in the same way but you have more of an Eastern European/Canadian international flavor with NFL.

What I'm I'm trying to say is if the IPL can run like the MLS and each team can =actually have a corporate model, we could greatly improve our revenue, facilities, and even our players. :up::up:

that's exactly what I was trying to say, although I think we all agree that we are light years from being able to implement such business structure in iran. MLS is kind of unique with respect to NFL, MLB, etc, such that the players are the property of the league and not so much of the club ( correct me if I'm wrong on this).
all dealings including transfers, both nationally and internationally must go through the league. and not to mention the national football academy that brings in very young players (16,17,etc) and set them in a year long camp that includes education and football training (it's in Bradenton Florida). Not to mention the very efficient and structured college football and the draft. Add to that the marketing, advertising, broadcasting, etc that enables revenue sharing. and that's a fantastic recipe for success.

Sherwin
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
that's exactly what I was trying to say, although I think we all agree that we are light years from being able to implement such business structure in iran. MLS is kind of unique with respect to NFL, MLB, etc, such that the players are the property of the league and not so much of the club ( correct me if I'm wrong on this).
all dealings including transfers, both nationally and internationally must go through the league. and not to mention the national football academy that brings in very young players (16,17,etc) and set them in a year long camp that includes education and football training (it's in Bradenton Florida). Not to mention the very efficient and structured college football and the draft. Add to that the marketing, advertising, broadcasting, etc that enables revenue sharing. and that's a fantastic recipe for success.

Well without getting into a political discussion about this, the problem with Iran is the system itself. Successful business models are built on the ideals of capitalism. In Iran it's all about your relationships and connections with the elite. When you narrow it down to this criteria, you automaritcally shutout BRILLIANT MINDS. Trust me I've been to Iran and those guys are just lightyears ahead of us in terms of their critical thinking it's really unbelieveable. The problem is that thse guys aren't even given a chance to show that they can manage a team and think in terms of making revenue.

Well not really man on your second point. Actually I would say that MLS is really the only sprot where players are not property because of the salary difference. For instance, the average NFL contract for even the guy sitting on the bench is at least $400,000. The NBA is higher because you play 82 games and MLB you get the most because you have 160 games.

The thing is with NFL, MLB, and NBA, players sign to a long term lucrative contract. In the MLS the average salary is like $40,000. That's not bad but if you are living in LA that won't even be enough to buy a 1 bedroom appartment (trust me bro I know this from first hand). The only way an MLS guy would live in an expensive city like LA, Chicago, Seattle etc is if they live in like either the ghetto or pay like $700 and live in someone's home and rent a room.

Back to what I was saying about MLS. See that's why they can just at any time basically walk out of the team or another team can pick that player up if they want to pay for their contract, which is not that much. In other sports where the elite plaeyrs are making $100,000,000 it's a bit different. The only way you are really getting out of a contract you don't want, is if you get traded to another team.

As for your last point you are correct about the structure of the college football and the NFL draft but it's also true with college basketball, and college baseball. Only difference is in college football you need to play for three years before you can play in the NFL. Before the new NBA rule you could go pro after high school like LeBron James, Kevin Garnet, and Kobe Bryant being the three famous players. Now they changed the rule you need to play 1 year of college basketball. Baseball is the only sport you can go HS to Pro.

The way the strucure is set up is very fair and good for business. You want competition so the weakest teams draft first and the strongest teams draft last. That's good becasue small market franchse teams such as say Memphis Green Bay, Wisconsin, and San Antonio can compete with LA, NY, Chicago etc.