PDA

View Full Version : Qatar to host a world cup final?

aliirooni
12-30-2008, 09:59 PM
A senior official from Qatar soccer (http://www.soccernation.com) organization has expressed that Qatar is interested in hosting world cup finals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=AvCAGKkzQ22HpYEnYDs63OUmw7YF?slug=reu-worldqatar&prov=reuters&type=lgns

If accepted by FIFA, Qatar will be the first Arab nation to host such event.

I personally think that would be a good thing for Asian soccer and for Iran so lets hope that happens.

sepehr
12-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Will never happen, Qatar's population is very small, there are no big countries around it that would travel to watch the games. They would have to build many stadiums. The only country in teh middle east with a chance is UAE.

aliirooni
12-31-2008, 04:33 AM
never say never. They could very well do it like 2002 where they can allow multiple countries to host the WC at the same time.

It worked then, and worked for Euro 2008, I think just to give middle eastern and Arab countries a chance, it could happen. Just like how you suggested, maybe UAE and Qatar can share the tournament.

highflyerreborn
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Only nation to host a cup is KSA since they already hosted 1987-1988 Jr world cup - 16 team based format I think not sure on date but they did host a Youth World cup successfully

Sherwin
12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Only nation to host a cup is KSA since they already hosted 1987-1988 Jr world cup - 16 team based format I think not sure on date but they did host a Youth World cup successfully

That is most likely the most logical pick because KSA has enough nice stadiums to shot a WC but I don't want any Arab country who says A***ian gulf like Qatar to host the WC eff that.:down::down:

OSTAD POOYA
12-31-2008, 05:54 PM
where is no beer or women no world cup would be hosted. Qatar can have a shot at it. I think they are hosting the next asian cup as well

aliirooni
12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
yah u will never see WC in an Islamic country like KSA where you can't drink or party.

Remember one of the reasons for WC final is business. Where would Budwiser advertise their beer if the games were in KSA

However in Arab countries that are neighbores to Persian Gulf such as Qatar and UAE where they have more relaxed laws, it can be possible.

Fahd
01-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Will never happen, Qatar's population is very small, there are no big countries around it that would travel to watch the games. They would have to build many stadiums. The only country in teh middle east with a chance is UAE.

They will just naturalise the neighbouring countries and naturalise their stadiums :D

Fahd
01-01-2009, 12:52 AM
where is no beer or women no world cup would be hosted. Qatar can have a shot at it. I think they are hosting the next asian cup as well

Saudis think they are above everyone else and wouldnt want it anyway.

highflyerreborn
01-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't see any western asian side hosting world cup ...

Probbly India will get it first or China since they have ppl and money

Even if they suck at it

KSA infrastructure is not that great its ok ....

Bench mark is now in Japan and Korea - with stadium

dariush-44
01-02-2009, 03:30 AM
this will not happen because of the strict islamic laws. no alcohol, no naked ladies means a lame wc...and FIFA doesn't want a lame world cup.

UAE has the best chance at gaining such host advantage.

footballdxb
01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
There are some major problems for Qatar to host the WC:

1. Summer weather conditions in Persian Gulf are particularly difficult even at night time.
2. The country is not a successful touristic destination. It means there will be a heavy clash of cultures when supporters from different countries around the world will visit the country.
3. Due to the restricted number of cities, the present WC system which takes place in different cities cannot be applied
4. Fragile political stability of the region

IMO, even UAE which is the country which has made a lot of progress in terms of tourism and modern development recently, is not suitable for organising the WC yet. Did you know for example that under the UAE law, any drunk person caught in public places will be immediately emprisoned? This applies to pedestrians, people sitting in the park or on a bench or even passengers driven by a sober driver in a private car...

For me, we will not see the WC being organised in this region for longtime. From Asia, maybe Australia is the country which should be awarded a world cup!

aliirooni
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I personally don't think FIFA would take any middle eastern nations right now for world cup because FIFA is in it to make money and they know western tourists are pretty biased and uninformed about middle eastern countries and would not travel there to watch the games.

But it would be good if one day one of the Persian gulf neighboring Arab countries that have the money could host the games.

Fahd
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I personally don't think FIFA would take any middle eastern nations right now for world cup because FIFA is in it to make money and they know western tourists are pretty biased and uninformed about middle eastern countries and would not travel there to watch the games.

But it would be good if one day one of the Persian gulf neighboring Arab countries that have the money could host the games.

I think the west is fairly well informed. They know the dress code, the alcohol rules, the laws on alot of things. They just wouldnt come.

Hamid_Blue
01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I think the west is fairly well informed. They know the dress code, the alcohol rules, the laws on alot of things. They just wouldnt come.

The perception that any ME country (except for Dubai) is a dangerous place for Westerners is a valid assumption.

Back to main argument, Qatar does not have the infrastructure (stadiums, roads, hotels, airport, restuarant, shops, resorts, etc) to support WC. Even UAE alone does not have all of those mentioned but maybe a combination of UAE, Qatar, and maybe Kuwait or Bahrain would be sufficient to host a world cup. If you remember, Neither Japan nor South Korea were able to host WC alone. Each had to build few new stadiums and resorts to get ready.

aliirooni
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
The perception that any ME country (except for Dubai) is a dangerous place for Westerners is a valid assumption.

Back to main argument, Qatar does not have the infrastructure (stadiums, roads, hotels, airport, restuarant, shops, resorts, etc) to support WC. Even UAE alone does not have all of those mentioned but maybe a combination of UAE, Qatar, and maybe Kuwait or Bahrain would be sufficient to host a world cup. If you remember, Neither Japan nor South Korea were able to host WC alone. Each had to build few new stadiums and resorts to get ready.

Hamid jaan I agree but I think with exception of a few countries most countries don't have the structure in place but they will build it if FIFA allows them to host a WC. Many governments often use sporting tournaments to get government to spend money so they can build structures, cities, shops, restaurants, resorts, airports, hotelts, etc and that way boosts their economy too.

Take Greece for an example. I was watching on a documentary that when they hosted the Athens games, they had to build so many different venues and today those venues aren't even being used but the good thing that came out of it was that it pushed Greek government to spend money and helped the local economy.

South Africa, which is hosting the WC 2010 still doesn't have enough stadiums and the WC is only less than 1.5 years away.

sportsman
01-06-2009, 02:16 AM
I don't believe the world cup should be hosted by these nations, not even iran. I rather go for big and well structured countries that knows how to be hosts. When qataris and us iranians learn how to host a simple tournament properly maybe then we can talk about something as global and big as WC. It's not about democracy, it's about what's best for football, it's not that I've hold any grudge against certain countries, just that when I'm convinced that they are able to pull it off, then it's another story.

Ahmad18s
01-09-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm almost 100% positive that the next Asian country to host the WC will be China, which won't happen for another 5 WC's at least. You can forget Qatar or UAE for a LONG time. Besides, I don't want to buy WC memorabilia with the name Ar**#an G*lf on it.

Fahd
01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm almost 100% positive that the next Asian country to host the WC will be China, which won't happen for another 5 WC's at least. You can forget Qatar or UAE for a LONG time. Besides, I don't want to buy WC memorabilia with the name Ar**#an G*lf on it.

Australia are almost certain for either one of the 2018 or 2022 world cups.

Ahmad18s
01-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Australia are almost certain for either one of the 2018 or 2022 world cups.

Even though they play in the AFC, Australia will never be considered an Asian country. And yes, the Aussies will probably get a WC bid soon, most likely 2022 because Europe won't go three straight WC's without hosting one.

Fahd
01-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Even though they play in the AFC, Australia will never be considered an Asian country. And yes, the Aussies will probably get a WC bid soon, most likely 2022 because Europe won't go three straight WC's without hosting one.

Australia has about a 90% chance of getting either one and i agree 2022 is the most likely since they are bidding for both at the same time. If Europe gets 2018 (most likely England) all other European nations are out of 2022 running leaving only the US, China, Qatar an possibly Canada or another CONCACAF nation. AFC will only support 1 bid and it will be Australia eliminating China and Qatar beause it will want the extra birth at the finals.

Australia already has it pretty sewn up..