View Full Version : Maradona in India ...

12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
from goal.com on 08.12.2008:

08/12/2008 14:16

Maradona Denounces Pelé, US Foreign Policy

EL Pibo d'Oro was in chatty mood on the last day of his trip to Kolkata, India; he discussed why footballers do not respect Pelé like they respect him, and also laid the boot into US foreign policy...

Argentina coach Diego Maradona rounded off a trip to Kolkata by re-opening the war of words between himself and long-time rival Pelé, and went on to blast the decision making of the Bush administration.

Pelé and Maradona have enjoyed an uneasy relationship with each other, as a result of their respective standings in the eyes of football observers.

For some, Pelé is the greatest exponent of the beautiful game, while for others, it is El Pibo d'Oro who stands alone at the highest reaches of the game's masters.

Even FIFA, when conducting their Footballer of the 20th Century, failed to separate the pair. The governing body instead offered the South American legends a share of the prize.

However, Maradona has once again hit out at his Brazilian counterpart with the claim that footballers do not respect the three-time World Cup winner.

El Diego suggested that Pelé is a friend of the moneymen around the game, while professionals themselves plump for the 1986 World Cup winning captain as the football's golden boy.

He told the Times of India: "The biggest and main difference between Pele and Maradona is I have the respect of all footballers, which Pele does not have.

"Pele is a friend of those who manage football. I am not friends with them. I am with the players.

"I do not have anything against Pele, but Pele has against me. Because he was second to Ayrton Senna (triple Formula One World Champion), and second to Maradona as well."

Diego, The Left-Winger

Maradona went on to detail his friendship with Fidel Castro, the former president of communist Cuba.

He said: "You get enriched every moment you spent with him, even when you say hello. We talked about football, politics, baseball. We talked of the USA as well. We talked about the dark sides of imperialism."

The highly politicised Argentinean, an ally of leftist leaders Evo Morales of Bolivia and Hugo Chavez of Venezuela, laid the blame for the world's woes at the door of the United States, and urged smaller nations to stand up for themselves in the wake of the global economic downturn.

He continued: "The problems have been mainly created by the US. They say they are big, others small.

"They decide, and then we have to go by their decisions. But now, after what has happened to the US (economy), the time has come for every nation to take their own decisions.

Grasping at thorny issues, Maradona also lamented the problem of terrorism in the world, whereby children were being made innocent victims of illicit warfare.

He concluded: "We have to stop this because there are many innocent people, innocent kids, paying the price. They should not be paying the price."

Peter Staunton, Goal.com

unquoted: I am not sure about the reasons for him being better or more popular than Pele... but I 100% would play in his side rather than Pele.

12-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Maradona is on crack footballers respect Pele more than they respect Maradona!

12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Maradona is on crack footballers respect Pele more than they respect Maradona!

Personally, I agree 100%.

But I think younger generation can relate to Maradona more than they can relate to Pele with few exceptions.

12-08-2008, 09:42 PM
maybe but the generation that should care for Maradona is my generation and I tell you what, he would have been bigger than Pele if he didn't get in trouble with LAW and drugs and all the crazy things he did (like dressing up like women and all that stuff)

There is always rivalry going on between Argentinians and Brazilians but Brazilians have their titles and their unlimited talents to back it up.

12-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Here is my 2 cents about this issue.

Maradona and Pele are both great players, probably the best in their generations and for that reason I dont think they can be compared. If you put Messi in the game from 20-30 years ago he would dominate more than them but you cant judge players from different eras.

As for the issue of respect I have to agree with Maradona. Pele is known to ask for large sums of money to attend games as a spectator or play a friendly. we see him all the time in Arab countries since they can always pay. Maradona on the other hand goes wherever the people want him and he is not one to play for money (example Napoli). Pele on the other hand has played for money (example New York).

I personally like both of them as players but dont like Pele as a person since he is way too greedy and seems like all he does nowadays is for money. Maradona I like because of his attitude and he says whats on his mind even if it might get him into trouble (bush example), but the one blemish on Maradona is his drug problem which in my opinion has hurt his image.

12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
If you put Messi in the game from 20-30 years ago he would dominate more than them but you cant judge players from different eras.

Sephr jan, I agree with your entire comment with the exception of above. Messi could not and would not last one season in early days when Pele played.

In 1958 and 1962, they kicked and injured him so much it was not pretty to watch. This is the reason FIFA adopted yellow/red cards afterwards to protect players such as Pele. Most European teams had 5 or 6 goons playing on the field and they were able to INJURE key players from opposing teams. Eusébio was as good as anyone in his playing days but was mostly injured because of rough play. Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eus%C3%A9bio)

Today's game demands much more fitness but players are protected much more. If you look at the players from 30 years ago, they needed to have a lot more strength than agility. Some of the TM (i.e. Gelich, Sadeghi) players could have been easily been body builders!!! :)