PDA

View Full Version : Magnificent article on possibility of an Iran-Australia rematch - Les Murray

Cia
07-06-2007, 10:41 PM
http://theworldgame.com.au/opinions/index.php?pid=st&cid=91393&ct=22

Bring on Iran - Les Murray
Saturday, 7 Jul 2007

Never mind Australia’s great need to win the Asian Cup. Never mind the threat of the regional powerhouse, Japan, standing in the way of it, eager to make amends for what happened in Germany last year.

Australia has other, much bigger, unfinished business to attend to: the business of settling scores with Iran.

Nothing darkens the mood of the Australian sports fan – never mind the football fan – like visions of Khodadad Azizi equalising in THAT World Cup qualifier in 1997, and seeing the dream slipping away.

Johnny Warren choked with tears on air and a nation plunged in to darkness. What cruelty, what injustice, if only, can this ever be avenged?

Well, maybe it can. And this might be the time.

My boyish, silly dream is that Australia meets Iran in the final of the Asian Cup, which can only happen if one of them finishes second in its group. So go Uzbekistan against Iran on July 11, which might be enough to put Iran in to second place in Group C and then, bingo, we can have an Australia v Iran final in Jakarta on July 29.

Worst case, if both top their group, it’s en-route for the showdown, the revenge match, in the semi finals. Either way an Australia-Iran clash beckons and it would be a crying shame if it did not eventuate.

On reputation, pedigree, odds, recent ranking and form, this Asian Cup will yield a winner out of just five teams: Australia, Japan, Korea Republic, Iran and Saudi Arabia. The rest, including China and Uzbekistan, don’t seem to be in the reckoning.

The trouble and worrying thing, for us, is that losing against any one of them is more than possible. A stumble is on the cards and it will not be easy.

In the modern era, since Australia entered the World Cup in 1965, Australia has been beaten by the quartet of Japan, Korea Republic, Iran and Saudi Arabia 14 times. Losing against this lot will not be unthinkable.

Here is the record:

:: Against Japan, Australia has played 15 times for six wins, four draws and five losses, a minor margin in Australia’s favour.

:: Against the Koreans, the most prolific of Australia’s opponents in Asia, there has been 22 games for nine Australian wins, eight draws and five losses.

:: Against Saudi Arabia, our history is a short three games for one win, one draw and one loss.

:: Against Iran, Australia has a most sorry-*** record: seven played, two won, two drawn and three lost. Iran remains the only country in Asia against which Australia has a negative record.

The total numbers against ‘the big four’ read like this: 47 played, 18 won, 15 drawn, 14 lost. That, dear friends, says we haven’t been able to beat them 29 times out of 47 chances, or 62 per cent of the time.

So let us not kid ourselves that this is some kind of sure thing.

Australia is favourite for the Asian Cup for a number of reasons, the most valid of them that the Socceroos parade the largest contingent of Europe-based professionals, many of them from the English Premier League, with which South East Asia is almost pathologically besotted.

Iran, instructively, is next with five European legionnaires. It will not surprise if the Iranians, once again, provide our stiffest test, as I believe they will.

Vince Grella is right when quoted saying that Australia should not be expected to be at its peak in its opening game against Oman. Even a 16-team tournament is a marathon, not a sprint, and the team that peaks at the end will win it.
It is good then that Australia is not routed to meet Iran, I believe its biggest foe, until at least the semi finals.

Iran will be hungry. Three time winners of the Asian Cup, a statistic they share with Japan and Saudi Arabia, they have not won the title since 1976. They are tired of the long time between drinks, even if, as Iranians, they don’t do much drinking.

They have a new generation of players, behind the leadership of the brilliant Ali Karimi, and come undefeated in the qualifiers under young home-grown coach Amir Ghalenoei.

They have points to prove, not the least among them a need to keep the upper hand against the fearsome newcomers, Australia.

In the event that the two countries meet, the need to avenge 1997 and the MCG will preoccupy the Australian players, Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell, who played that night, chiefly among them.

But Iran, a proud people with a deep love for football, will not have forgotten 1997 either, and neither the long rivalry stretching back to the 1974 World Cup qualifiers.

It shapes up as one of the most attractive and important games in our football history.

And I say, bring it on.

persianboy1384
07-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Hopefully we will beat them final or semifinal.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Iran

:irani: :iran2:

aliirooni
07-06-2007, 11:00 PM
nice article.

dude this so changed my mood about AC. I was kind of indifferent about AC but now that I know we have pissed them off so much, I say bring it on.

I loved this part btw
Iran remains the only country in Asia against which Australia has a negative record. :Party:

Go TM, Go Iran! :irani:

Cia
07-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Les Murray is a legend.

RASTAFARI
07-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Interesting.
"Iranians do not drink"??
Are you kidding mate ? Lets bring it on.

The Great Taj of Tehran
07-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I live in Australia, I have talked to Australians about the 1997 match and everyone I talked to admired Iran. Here in Australia when the Australian players are interviewed about their major rival in the Asian cup they all name South Korea and there is no mention of Iran. The reason for that is crystal clear. They have a hidden fear of Iran and they don't want to show it.

Don't be fooled by watching Australia's performance in the world cup. It was all because of the dutch master mind Guss Hidink who was coaching them at the time otherwise Australia is nowhere near that kind of performance. I'm looking forward to a Iran Vs Australia match and watching the Iranian boys trash the Sucker-Roos

Ormi
07-07-2007, 03:18 AM
ohh it will be such a good game.... i can not wait to see our boys beating Australia and getting it into their head that 1997 was not a one off, Iran is and will remain your Big Brother in Soccer Australia,

Fahd
07-07-2007, 03:20 AM
If the Aussies win it they wont feel they are the true champions of Asia unless they defeat Iran on the way through which is fair enough. The only problem is if they do they will and i think they have the team to do it easily.

footballdxb
07-07-2007, 03:44 AM
:iran2: :iran1: :irani: :iran2: :irani: :iran2: I really liked the article. So much energy, honesty and fair challange.

Yes, Bring It On! It has been a huge question to all of us for so long. Lets do it clean and fair. For me the winner of the match wil be the true Asian Champions. BTW, Iran will finish first in their group, so it is upto them to finish second in theirs!:D :tooth: Go Iraq, Go Oman, Go Thailand:beer: :D

Forza Iran:iran2: :irani: :iran2: :irani: :iran2: :irani:

doober
07-07-2007, 04:07 AM
oooh, interesting article. thanks.

loool, i had no idea that our azizi goal haunted them.
& where'd he get the idea that we dont drink? lol.

anyways, whatever. nice article.
we better beat them.

Fahd
07-07-2007, 07:46 AM
oooh, interesting article. thanks.

loool, i had no idea that our azizi goal haunted them.
& where'd he get the idea that we dont drink? lol.

anyways, whatever. nice article.
we better beat them.

Their isnt exactly alot of pubs in Iran is there :tooth:

anoush
07-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Their isnt exactly alot of pubs in Iran is there :tooth:

there's certainly enough booze though!

footballdxb
07-07-2007, 08:48 AM
And football lovers with TASTE! Great Avatar anoush jaan ...
Forza Iran

RASHALDO
07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
i am pissing my pants just thinking about the rematch; I can't believe I'll be back in boganville QLD for the game; but who cares in the middle of those aussies, I'll be wearing my TM jersey and cheering for them !!!

Go TM and socceroos (until the semi-final :D) !!!

The Great Taj of Tehran
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
i am pissing my pants just thinking about the rematch; I can't believe I'll be back in boganville QLD for the game; but who cares in the middle of those aussies, I'll be wearing my TM jersey and cheering for them !!!

It's a pitty here in Australia you should have fox sport to watch the game since free tv (SBS) does not show any of the matches.

Ormi
07-07-2007, 09:51 PM
It's a pitty here in Australia you should have fox sport to watch the game since free tv (SBS) does not show any of the matches.

If you have UBI satellite PBC is showing all the games, the commentry is a little "hows it going" but i guess you still get to watch the games...

Fahd
07-07-2007, 09:57 PM

At least you can do that in Australia in most other so-called civilised places you would be stabbed. :D

Fahd
07-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Still not enough to supply Australias consumption for a week :rotflmao:

RASHALDO
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM

I agree; as soon as the game starts getting publicity, the national games end up on cable TV; i wouldn't have a beef if the games not involving the socceroos are on FOX, but having the aussie games on fox is a joke !!!

But oh well, at least this is the 1st time we get the asian cup in Australia live without having to have to go to a persian resturant and paying $15 or getting Persian satellite :cooldude: !!!